Thread: Fedora 12 mplayer problem

Fedora 12 mplayer problem

Hey guys
    I am using fedora 12 linux operating system, a few day before I had upgraded my system of fedora 12. Before that I was using fedora 11. I am facing a weird problem in fedora 12 with my mplayer. Normally I control my mplayer volume through the config file. Now, the problem is that when I start the mplayer the volume of the player is set to 100% volume and I have to manually bring it to low. This happens every time when i start my mplayer. I even installed the gnome - volume - control, but this did not helped a lot. Any help on this or suggestion. Please help.

Re: Fedora 12 mplayer problem

Hi
    Now, the problem is that when I start the mplayer the volume of the player is set to 100% volume and I have to manually bring it to low.
    I think you should use the gnome mplayer, it a simple interface for mplayer. From there you can set the mplyaer volume settings. Do as follows
    Code:
    edit > preferences > mplayer
    Here you can set Mplayer Software Volume Control Enabled.

Hi
    By going through your post I assume that you have tried setting your volume to 30 and may be less than 100, by setting these the volume control did not worked for you. I had the same issue, then I changed my audio drivers, and the problem was fixed. I changed the drivers to alsa, and now they work fine with my system. You may try changing your drivers, hopefully this will work with you. If you have any other problem related to this isuue, then do post back.

Hi
    edit > preferences > mplayer
    Here you can set Mplayer Software Volume Control Enabled.
    I installed the gnome mplayer and tried to enable the volume from the software volume control but that did not helped much.
    I assume that you have tried setting your volume to 30 and may be less than 100, by setting these the volume control did not worked for you.
    I do not have any problem in setting the default volume to 30 or less than 100, I do this with the alsa master channel. But the problem is that when the next time I start the mplayer it's default volume becomes 100%. Same issue with gnome - volume - control.
    I changed the drivers to alsa, and now they work fine with my system.
    I have already installed alsa drivers, but the issue remains the same, if you have any more solution for this then please do post back.

Hi
    I would like to suggest you a trick which I used and it worked for me very well. i think the mplayer does not work or play nice with pulse. So, to work with alsa drivers I had to do some extra configuration with the alsa drivers in the gui conf. Navigate to the mplyer config that is, ~/.mplayer/config and tyr this
    Code:
    ao=alsa
    In the config for gmplayer (~/.mplayer/gui.conf), set the following parameters like so:
    Code:
    ao_driver = "alsa:device=default"
    ao_alsa_mixer = "default"
    ao_alsa_mixer_channel = "Master"
    ao_alsa_device = "default"
    This changes worked for me, see if it helps you.

Hi
    ao=alsa
    ao_driver = "alsa:device=default"
    ao_alsa_mixer = "default"
    ao_alsa_mixer_channel = "Master"
    ao_alsa_device = "default"
    Thanks a lot the above change in the configuaration file worked for me. I question remains in my mind is that why there was no problem with the mplayer in the fedora 10 and 11 with pulse drivers.