Thread: How to Fix a Corrupted Recycle Bin in Vista??

How to Fix a Corrupted Recycle Bin in Vista??

I am having the operating system as Windows Vista. I have deleted some files which had gone to the Recycle Bin. Now when I am trying to empty Recycle Bin, there is a pop up saying that the Recycle Bin has been corrupted. Even this error comes when I try to delete the same files from the Recycle Bin. Does anyone know how to fix the corrupted Recycle Bin? I also don't want the files present in the Recycle Bin. Please help to sort out this problem.
    "Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do". - Voltaire

Re: How to Fix a Corrupted Recycle Bin in Vista??

You can Fix a Corrupted Recycle Bin in Windows Vista just by using some commands. First click on All Programs and Accessories. Then Right click on Command Prompt and click Run as administrator. Now in UAC prompt click on the continue. Once you are in the command prompt type
    rd /s /q C:\$Recycle.bin
    and then press the Enter. After this command close command prompt window. Right click anywhere on the desktop and click on Refresh. After doing this your Recycle Bin should be empty.

I would like to tell you to do the following steps that can help to Fix a Corrupted Recycle Bin in Vista.

1. Go to the Control Panel. Then go to Folder option. In folder option you will find the settings of folder to hide. Check the option Show Hidden Files and Folders. Also Uncheck Hide protected operating system files.
    2. Go into the C: drive. By default it is the drive that has Vista installed on it.
    3. Then right click on the $RECYCLE.BIN folder and click Delete. If you are not able to delete the files or folders from the Recycle Bin then try to boot the system in safe mode then try this procedure again.
    4. Once you click on delete it will ask for confirmation. Click on Yes.
    5. Follow the instructions given and delete the items presented in the Recycle Bin.
    6. Vista will then automatically create a new $RECYCLE.BIN folder and Recycle Bin on the Desktop for you later. This may need reboot of your system.

You should be knowing that each drive has a hidden and protected folder named $Recycle.bin. This is the place where the Recycle Bin stores the files and folders that you delete. Windows Vista will create a fresh copy of $Recycle.bin folder automatically even after you delete it. The contents will get removed from the Recycle Bin. So you can only delete the contents and not the Recycle Bin folder.

You can also do the changes from the Registry settings. To go to Registry, first click on Start button followed by Run. In Run type regedit. Once you go to regedit find the key :

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}\DefaultIcon]
    Value Name : (Default), Empty, Full
    Data Type: REG_SZ

Now if you want to empty your Recycle Bin put the value Empty in front of the Icon. And your Recycle Bin will be empty.

I would like to tell you to run the Scan Disk. After you run the Scan disk it may fix some of the disk errors, which may be the reason to generate this error. Several times this error gets solved just by running the scan disk. Try to do this first if this doesn't work then try the other methods. Hope this method will solve the issue without making the major changes in the Registries.

The last option to Fix a Corrupted Recycle Bin when there are no solutions even if you do the mentioned things is to Repair the OS. Very rarely it happens that some system files gets corrupted and generates this type of error. After you repair your OS, this issue will definitely get solved. But as I said this is the last option, try the other options first. Also don't forget to scan your system using the updated Anti virus.