Thread: Error 1608. Setup not able to locate a version of Microsoft Office!!

Error 1608. Setup not able to locate a version of Microsoft Office!!

I am not able to install the Microsoft Office 2003. Whenever I try to do so I get an error saying "Error 1608. Setup could not locate a version of Microsoft Office on the selected drive." I don't know what's the cause of this error. I am using operating system Windows XP. Is there any issue with my operating system or the Office 2003?? Can anyone help me in this issue..>?? Thanks in Advance.
    "Let us remember that our interest is in concord, not conflict, and that our real eminence rests in the victories of peace, not those of war." -McKinley

Re: Error 1608. Setup not able to locate a version of Microsoft Office!!

Usually this Error is generated when there is already another application of the Microsoft Office installed in your operating system. It can be Microsoft Office 97 Small Business Edition, Microsoft Office 2000 CD2, etc. Many times it get conflict when you install the same application of different versions. So remove the older version of the Microsoft Office and then try to install new version. Also remove the trial versions if already installed. Hope you can install it properly after uninstalling the previous version.

Try to do the following things to get rid of this error :

1. Run the setup.exe located in the Office 2003.
    2. Type your product key in the Product Key boxes. Then click OK.
    3. Check the Product Compliance Check CD Key dialog box and then click OK.
    4. In the Drive list, click the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM
    5. Then follow the instructions as given to install the Microsoft Office 2003.

This will definitely help you..

The Error 1608. Setup not able to locate a version of Microsoft Office!! usually comes when you are having the previous version of the Microsoft Office installed in your system. You will have to remove that version by going in the Control Panel and Remove that specific program from the list of software installed. Once you are done with that then try to Install the Office 2003. If there is something remaining in the C: drive of the previous version then delete it manually. Otherwise there are chances of getting the same error again. Once you are done with removing the previous version install the new one. Insert the Key properly that is printed on the cover of the CD. This time you will not get the error.

This Error 1608 is generated when you are having the version of Microsoft Office 97, 2000 or XP located on the selected drive. You have to click OK to stop the installation. If you have a version of Microsoft Office on CD-ROM, run Setup again. If Setup cannot detect a qualifying program on the computer, Setup displays an error. The solution for this error is using the 'Product Compliance Check' dialog box CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive that contains the Office 2003 CD.