Thread: Problem in BOINC

Problem in BOINC

Hi
    I am using openSUSE 11.1 and I ma very new to linux operating system. So, if my question is silly then please ignore it. I had a Software DVD, from it I installed the BOINC application. The problem with the application is when I click on the application icon it starts and freezes, it is nothing happens. When i try to run the application from the terminal, it starts properly and when I close the terminal window the application is also terminated with the terminal windowed, the application stops working. My question is , can I run the application without the terminal windows open? If this is possible then please do post back with some commands. Thanks in advance.

Re: Problem in BOINC

Hi
    My question is , can I run the application without the terminal windows open?
    You can run applications in the terminal as a background process. What you did is you are closing the terminal, rather than closing the terminal you can set it to background and then exit the terminal. So that you will have your application working without the terminal window. Just see this code.
    Code:
    <some_application> &
    exit
    The problem with the application is when I click on the application icon it starts and freezes, it is nothing happens.
    Please check the icon properties and see where the application is located. May be the location of the application is not correct. Just try this, you may solve it.

Hello
    The problem with the application is when I click on the application icon it starts and freezes, it is nothing happens.
    Was the icon created by the package you installed from the DVD or did you create the icon yourself? Any way if you know to run the application from the terminal then there should be not problem. Open the terminal run the appropriate application name with the ampersand , this will return you to the terminal. You can now close the terminal without killing the process. In your case it should be.
    Code:
    > boinc &
    Hope this solves your problem. Any more query then do post back.

Hi
    <some_application> &
    exit
    Thanks for the syntax,
    > boinc &
    As you said, I tried to run the application from the terminal with the ampersand, and it worked. Thanks for that guys.
    Please check the icon properties and see where the application is located. May be the location of the application is not correct. Just try this, you may solve it.
    I have checked the icon properties, the location of the application is correct. Do not know where it is wrong.