Thread: Video Files not playing sound

Video Files not playing sound

I am running Windows Vista on my computer right now. There is no sound playing for certain videos I have and the same goes for videos I try and watch online.

The files are (from what I've found):

.avi
    .mpg
    .wmv

The weird part is, it's not all files with that extension, just some of them. Any ideas? I'm not sure if I have the right codecs for them but I think I would since I can play some of the files with that extension.

Edit: Sorry for the double post. Browser hick-up.
    Last edited by Kadrin; 09-12-2009 at 05:50 AM.

Re: Video Files not playing sound

Can you tell me what error getting during play the video or audio file. Must probably your videos may be corrupt. Because .mpg .wmv and .avi are easily play on most media player. Also what media player version you have.

You should installed software or hardware DVD decoder for play audio and video files .You also download decoder from Microsoft official website. there is also one thing just check it out go to control panel and select sound then select Window Default and apply.

Most of time AVI file is not playing in windows media player. Just go to the DIVX official site and download the audio and video codec from there and after that just restart your computer. Again if you found any issue reply.

Thanks for the help folks I'll give that a try and get back to you guys.

Jonathan D, I didn't get an error message with the file. It would just play with extremely low sound and it would have a weird squeek to it sometimes.

Use Open Source Media Players like vlc media Player or KMplayer. Check whether it's playing form those SWs. Sometimes it should be codec problem. Another Solution is update media player codec

I downloaded the divx codec and also tried playing it on VLC media player to no avail. This one has me pretty well stumped.

What program are you using to view the movie? If you try another AVI file, are you able to hear the audio? You need the right codecs to play a dvd in Media Player.Check this avi files only play audio, not video

Hi, I think the problem you are getting is due to the incomplete video files. There may be possibility that the files you wanted to play not have audio and you are thinking that the problem is in your software which are running that particular files. If you want to check the problem of that file, then you can make use of that files into the other computer or in mobile and then you can get whether the files are problematic or the software which are running those files are problematic.

No, it's not incomplete files and they aren't dvds. A lot of them are just files I've downloaded or videos I'm watching online (streaming). I also thought it may be faulty headphones but it is consistently the same files that aren't playing sound.

Its looks like the video you are trying to play are having wrong file compression or improper compression so you can try to convert in another format again but before that once try to play with Klite Codecs