Thread: PCMan to set default applications

PCMan to set default applications

Hi
    I am using Fedora and default desktop environment as LXDE. LXDE is a great environment and I like it, because it is fast. I know that most of the people use the GNOME environment, there are very few using the LXDE. So, any one know about the config file or something like that so that I can set default applications to open various file formats. I tried to use the GUI interface to set the default values, but now there are duplicate entries there. How can I trim those entries. The problem is that I do not know the name of the config file or the location of the file. I tried to google it but did not find the information about that. Please any help would be appreciated.

Re: PCMan to set default applications

Hello
    I do not use LXDE as my default user interface, but I have seen it and its quite cool. There is no reason to switch from GNOME to LXDE. I am not trying to say that LXDE is not a good desktop environment, but GNOME has everything that a linux user requires.
    So, any one know about the config file or something like that so that I can set default applications to open various file formats.
    I am not sure but it just uses the default applications which are set to the desktop. If you want to take a closer look then check this file
    Code:
    /home/username/.local/share/applications
    Hope this information has helped you. Any more queries do post back.

Hi
    I did not knew about the following location
    /home/username/.local/share/applications
    This is just what I was looking for, all the duplicate entries are in this folder. Thank you very much, you have solved my problem. Now that I know this I have a second question in my mind. What would be the correct syntax for the default application, so that the options come after the file name. For example when I launch an application i would to open it in some specified mode. So, how do I write the command line in the applications directory so that it opens up how I want it to. Few months ago I use the DSL and DFM where the syntax was somewhat like this
    Code:
    "/usr/sbin/handy %0% -2"
    Is the in the similar manner in the PCMan file manager? Any advice on this.

Hi
    Sounds great that your problem is solved. The second question you asked about the syntax of the file, I think you should use "%f". Once I tried opening a file with PCMan default text editor leafpad. And after that I had a look to the file in the directory and found
    .local/share/applications/leafpad-usercustom-0.desktop
    I think you should find the "%f" in your file.