Thread: Performing Windows Maintenance

Performing Windows Maintenance

My Windows is working slow. I have a 1Gb RAM in my computer which is quiet enough. How to check free space on hard drive and clear unnecessary files from it. How can I delete old System Restore Points. What are the other more option available about the same in Windows. Please help me by giving me a reply which will be better for this solution.

Re: Performing Windows Maintenance

The hard disk fills up, as and extent of use. The videos, music and photos, but the games take up much room. Although recent drives are large, it is desirable to know the space available, it necessary to keep 20% free space minimum for a functioning hard drive, below 15% free space, the Windows defragmenter will not work. In the Windows folder, there is a Temp folder. It is used by programs to place temporary files (files that are used once, and that should normally be removed at the close of the program that created them). However, sometimes (especially if the computer crashes), these files are not deleted. It will then delete them manually.

In Windows XP, there are several Temp folders. One in the Windows folder like in Windows 98, One in each user folder, inside the Documents and Settings. Delete the contents of the Temp files manually. Restart the system. If there are multiple accounts then Open the account administrator (the user's primary). You can also use third party software to clear up the files

To Defrag the hard disk in Windows XP, it is preferable to conduct an audit of the disk drive before defragmenting. You can use the defragmenter built into Windows XP. You can also use another utility. There are several ways to run the Disk Defragmenter. The first is located in Start Menu. Second click on Start > Run and type Defrag.msc.