Thread: Partial matching of cell in Microsoft Excel

Partial matching of cell in Microsoft Excel

I am trying to find out something really serious in the Microsoft excel shit. Actually i want to find out two matching fields in the excel shit but not exactly the identical fields. Suppose i am trying to find out "ABC Corporation private limited " so when i type just ABC Corp. pvt. Ltd. Though it is matching the field but it lists some 500+ companies so at the end i have to find it on my own. Please help !

Re: Partial matching of cell in Microsoft Excel

You seems to be working on Microsoft Excel in a way of doing job. It would have helped me if you had mentioned the version of Microsoft Excel you are using now. There is a simple way to find out an any query in excel. You can go to HELP of Microsoft Excel where you just have to type in you query. But be careful about typing your query in HELP because the result of your query totally depends on how you have entered the keywords. Try to type shortest an clearest ( By mean from the view point of excel ) keywords.

It is bit complicated to make such formula in Microsoft Excel. But I have still tried to solve your problem. Finally i got a formula which should almost sort out your query. If the value in your column A & B starting from Row 2 then you can write the following formula in B2.

=MATCH("*"&LEFT(A2,5)&"*",B2:B29,0) then drag down it ...
    Basically it is matching only 5 initial characters from A2 with the B column and if it finds any match then it will return the cell number.

I have a solution for this but you just have do that search for the exact keyword. Actually I have created two lists, One is in A2:A2651 which i call a main list and another one is in B2:B which i call changing list. You can find the names in changing list which are already present in main list. By using the following array formula you can do this search.

{=IF(OR(EXACT(B2, $A$2:$A$2651)),"EXACT MATCH","")}