Thread: Bluetooth devices won't install on Xp SP2

Bluetooth devices won't install on Xp SP2

Hi, i am having 2 pcs at my home, one with Windows Xp SP2 and SP3.. I recently upgraded SP2 from SP1 in which i have installed Bluetooth adapter and was working fine before the upgradation. Still i can see that Bluetooth adapter is installed but am not able to find or connect any devices with the same. Whenever i try to search any bluetooth device, the system gives me an error message saying "Device not found."

Is there anyone to help me out of this ? Thanks in advance.

Re: Bluetooth devices won't install on Xp SP2

Most probably this issue occurs when Bluetooth adapter is installed but where the third-party driver for that adapter is not yet installed. Or, you perform a slipstreamed upgrade of Windows XP SP2 on a computer that already has an existing Bluetooth device installed that uses a third-party driver. This is because SP2 automatically installs the device driver that is included in Windows XP SP2 instead of the third-party driver that you want to install. In order to fix this issue, try to properly install the third-party driver for your Bluetooth adapter.

Use the Hardware Update Wizard to manually reinstall the Microsoft Bluetooth driver that is included in Windows XP Service Pack 2. Here is how to do that:-

• Open your command prompt, type devmgmt.msc and press Enter.
    • Expand Bluetooth Radios, and then double-click IBM Integrated Bluetooth III.
    • Go to the Driver Tab.
    • If Actiontec appears next to Driver Provider, click Update Driver, and then follow the instructions that appear on the screen.
    • Click No not this time, and then click Next.
    • Click Install from a list or specific location (Advanced), and then click Next.
    • Click Don't search. I will choose the driver to install, and then click Next.
    • Click IBM Integrated Bluetooth III (Microsoft), click Next, and then click Finish.

Rename the %WINDIR%\inf\Bth.inf file to Bth.bak before you install or reinstall the third-party device or stack. When you rename the file, you prevent Windows Plug and Play PNP from using that INF file to install the Bluetooth driver that is included with Windows XP SP2. To rename the file, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, click Run, type %windir%\inf in the Open box, and then click OK.

2. Right-click Bth.inf, and then click Rename.

3. Rename Bth.inf to Bth.bak, and then press ENTER.

4. Install the third-party Bluetooth driver.

I think, updating your Bluetooth driver may fix this issue for sure. Simply go to Device Manager. Right click the device, and then click Update Driver. You can also do it in alternate way. Click Start, click Run, type devmgmt.msc in the Open box, and then click OK. Locate the device. Right-click the device, and then click Update Driver.Follow the steps that appear on the screen in the Hardware Update Wizard to specify your third-party driver for the Bluetooth device.