Thread: Windows Live Messenger compatibility mode issue on Windows Vista

Windows Live Messenger compatibility mode issue on Windows Vista

I had installed Windows Vista on my machine. I'm using Windows Live Messenger 2009 in a compatibility mode on Windows Vista. Now the problem is that whenever i try to use Windows Live Messenger on my system, my contacts gets sign in automatically at the bottom right of the screen. In order to resolve the issue, i had reinstalled my Windows Live Messenger, but it didn't resolve my issue. So, can any body tell me that how do i resolve Windows Live Messenger compatibility mode issue on Windows Vista? Does any body knows about it? Kindly help me out to get rid of the above issue. Thanks.

Re: Windows Live Messenger compatibility mode issue on Windows Vista

The only data in that registry key is the url for live messenger to download your contacts list from. The hack is to run Windows Live Messenger in Windows Vista compatibility mode in Windows 7 in order to move WLM icon back to system tray. Visiting that url in IE gives a logon box, and then a "you must have a hotmail email address" error. I suspect that a lot of people who have this problem use a non-hotmail passport account, and a change of server config at Microsoft end locked us out.

Deleting that registry key DOES NOT delete your msn settings all mine are intact. You might try uninstalling, then clearing your IE cache and deleting any Passport, Messenger, or MSN cookies on the machine. Then, reinstall and see if things work. The error can be encountered with Windows Live Messenger 2009 due to may have an older version of the F-Secure Internet Security software.

The NVIDIA Network Access Manager might be filtering off the Messenger application. Remember though, that when you reinstall, you need to install the latest pre-beta version prior to installing the beta, otherwise every time you try to run the program it will simply crash.

In order to resolve the above issue, you just need to go in to your Windows Live Messenger properties, where you need to go to Compatibility tab. Windows Live Messenger and an earlier version of Adobe Flash are known to have some conflicting issues when Data Execution Prevention is enabled in Windows Vista. There you just need to put a tick against the check box for Run this program in compatibility mode for under “Compatibility Mode”, and then select Windows Vista from the drop down list. That's it and your job is done.