Thread: What is SSI (server-side includes) and How should I use it?

What is SSI (server-side includes) and How should I use it?

Hi,

I have heard that SSI is very useful tool in designing a web page. But what is SSI ?? Is it a script or a templete ??? And what are the advantages of using it ???

Re: What is SSI (server-side includes) and How should I use it?

SSI stands for Server Side Include. The Server Side Includes are directives allow static HTML to be "interpreted" to give some output immediately to the browser asking who this ( parsing). Originally the Server Side Include (SSI, which means something like server side inclusions) was intended as a technique to facilitate the work of webmasters who do not want so much effort in creating and maintaining websites.

It was quite common when developing a site, people who maintained the site had to repeat endlessly the same HTML for all pages of the site is seen with the same format. Or sometimes had to copy and paste inevitably the same piece of code that served as the signature of every page of a site because there was no other way to do it. He could even become quite painful having to manually change a line in a document that said the current date or the date on which this page was last modified. Today there are many ways to address and solve these problems, including the use of PHP, CGI and Javascript. But one of the first solutions (if not the first) was designed by the makers of server software. This solution was a pseudo-language that could be easily installed on UNIX / Linux common as they are so often used in the network: SSI.

It is language that is a processor that compiles the command line valid documents are marked as SSI documents. And the pseudo is not really because this is a common programming language like C, Pascal, Basic, etc.. nor is it so powerful. SSI consists of some simple commands but do not have a large set of functions and control statements that have any programming language. With SSI commands useful effects can be achieved within website as include content from other sites or files, display the date / display current time and date of last update of a page. When a server option is enabled to use SSI within web documents, the server performs a particular task does not normally each time you send a page.

When a client (visitor of the website) requesting the document using your browser, the server receives the request, processes it, and run the compiler command SSI, which reviews the document line by line in search of special SSI instructions. Where to find the reviews and the response produced by the compiler is placed at the site was originally called for SSI within the document. When you finish doing this throughout the document, the server finally returns the response to the client browser. So when a person visits a page that uses SSI instructions properly, it notes the source document is never instructed that the creator of the page uses, but find the results of those instructions instead.

To use SSI commands within a website, it must possess the necessary extension that the server recognizes as SSI document. In general, this extension should be .Shtml, but sometimes it can be. Shtm,. Sht even. Html and. Htm. Everything depends on the server and how it is configured to recognize commands SSI. If you are not sure which extension you need to run SSI commands, experiment a little with the extensions mentioned above to find one that works.