Thread: lightweight browser for linux

lightweight browser for linux

Hi
    I have an laptop which has only 512mb of ram, it is a compact laptop. I am new to linux and I have not tried linux for many time. Now I am looking for a lightweight browser for linux so that I can replace firefox. I know firefox runs great on linux, but it is slow on my laptop, do not know what is the problem but I think I can try changing to another browser. I need a normal browser, it should be lightweight and fast, may lack some features, do not really care. Tabs would be my concern, I will need them as I open three to four pages in a browser. Are there any good lightweight browser which can really run fast and use minimum memory of my laptop.

Re: lightweight browser for linux

Hello
    I am just wondering why you are changing to a different browser if you already have Firefox installed. What makes you unhappy with Firefox? Which is the version of your Firefox? I am asking these question because I personally use Firefox 2 and i have memory of 256mb and there is nothing for me to complain for Firefox. Also one thing I would like to mention here is it will be very hard to find a lightweight browser which will support all the stuff. Means if you want a lightweight browser then you are going to loose the features and if you want the features then you can get a lightweight browser. Because these two are somewhat mutually exclusive. I do not thing that you need to change your browser. Firefox is great.

Hi
    I do not think you must be system hungry applications? If not then 512ram is more than enough for you to run Firefox. I have 512 memory in my laptop and I have installed ubuntu and I run it with compizfusion and many other applications including firefox3 without having any problems. I think you can run Firefox if you are not running other application which are memory hungry. If you want to try some other lightweight browsers then you can try Konqueror or may be Midori or may be Epiphany. All these browsers are lightweight and they are know for that. Install and keep which is of your choice.

Hello
    I totally agree that 512mb of memory should be fine to run firefox, but still you have asked for some lightweight browsers. I have some of them. Before tow to three months ago I used an older version of Epiphany adn it was little lightweight that Firefox 2.0. So if you want you can check that. I think firefox 3 is lighter than Firefox 2. If you are using firefox2 then you can try firefox 3. Opera is another good choice, many people say that it is lightweight but i personally do not feel so. Still you can try it. One more browser I would like to mention is Galeon, it is very lightweight. But i think the development has been stopped. There are many options available, try them and work with which you feel better.