Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Nautilus file browser as root

Windows Software

Old 26-11-2009

Nautilus file browser as root

Hi friends
A few days before I was a user of windows. Now I have switched to linux and I am using ubuntu linux. I am not quite familiar with the operating system yet. I read some documentation and some books on ubuntu linux. Sounds very interesting and I have decided to use this operating system from now. I had a simple question in my mind. I want to copy files to some location using the nautilus file browser rather than terminal. The nautilus file browser does not allow me to copy or past in that location because I am not the root user, I mean I do not have the root user permissions. Is there any way to do this task using nautilus file browser or it can be just done only from the terminal. Any advice or suggestion will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 26-11-2009

Re: Nautilus file browser as root

Hi
It is too simple just open the terminal and issue the following command.
Code:
gksudo nautilus
This will open the nautilus file browser with root user permissions. If you want to copy the file to a specific location the follow the two steps.
1) You can simply drag and drop the files that have root permissions enabled. For this effective to work open the terminal and issue the above command once again and get the second instance of the nautilus as a root. Then you can just drag and drop files from one instance of the browser to the other instance of the browser with no time and without the using terminal.
2) you have the full rights to change the permission of any folder or file. Just right click on the folder and you will get a option menu. From there select the permissions tab adn check for whatever you feel necessary. If you are the only person using the computer then you can check them all if not select as you need them to be. Be careful do not change the permissions on the system files like root and usr. If you do that then everyone can access those folders and files.
Old 26-11-2009

Hello
I like the above method but if you want permanently the nautilus file browser in your gnome menu the you can do the following
1) Issue the following command and make a .desktop file with the name Nautilus-root
Code:
gksudo gedit /usr/share/applications/Nautilus-root.desktop
2) Now insert the following lines int he files
Quote:
[Desktop Entry]
Name=File Browser (Root)
Comment=Browse the filesystem with the file manager
Exec=gksudo "nautilus --browser %U"
Icon=file-manager
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=Application;System;
3) Now go Applications -> System Tools -> File Browser (Root)
Note that this function can be handy when you are alone the user of the whole system. If many users are using the system then I will not recommend this to you.
Old 26-11-2009

Hi
Both the above posted methods are good but you can have one more option, that is you can install an additional package named nautilus-gksu and it will enable an option to be a root user when you right click on a file or directory. After it is been installed you gnome will restart and your nautilus file browser will have the newly installed feature available to use. Any more queries you can post and feel free to post, your problems will be solved.

TechArena Community > Software > Windows Software
Tags: , , , ,