Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Package Management in Solaris

Windows Software

Old 25-11-2009

Package Management in Solaris

Hi
For a few years now I have been using slackware, so decide to move on to Solaris. I have recently purchased a new computer and installed solaris 10 on it. Now I am working with solaris, but I have some issues in that.
1) Package Management in Solaris - Solaris uses pkgadd to install the packages. I just downloaded the packages from the repository, unzipped and installed. Are there any better way to do this task? How to view all the packages that I have installed on my system? How can i remove and upgrade a package.
2) How can I sort my PATH properly? I think it is currently showing to /usr/sbin. I know there more than this to add. wget works when I am adding some a path. But I think there is some thing more and how can I make this permanent?
3) I always like bash but the default shell is /bin/sh. Is there a way to make the bash shell default? Where to set the bashrc file?

Old 25-11-2009

Re: Package Management in Solaris

Hi,
Quote:
How to view all the packages that I have installed on my system?
You can use the command pkginfo and prodreg to do this.
Quote:
How can i remove and upgrade a package.
for doing the same you can use pkgrm then pkgadd to add a software. You can also use pkg-get which handles the version check, dependencies and updates.
Quote:
I always like bash but the default shell is /bin/sh. Is there a way to make the bash shell default? Where to set the bashrc file?
Firstly switch to the root account and then change the user shell by using the command "passwd -e". My advice to you is set the root shell as bash and create an alias account instead. You said you are scared by the /etc/profile, what scares you in the file. Also if you do not know about this file do not make changes in the file you may mess your system.
Old 25-11-2009

Hi
Thanks for the useful information provided.
Quote:
You can use the command pkginfo and prodreg to do this.
That works really very well, I have not tried the pkg-get but I will soon try it.
Quote:
You said you are scared by the /etc/profile, what scares you in the file.
I think this is the problem of the shell. When I press the back space to delete ^H is displayed. Event the delete button displays ^[[3~. To complete any command name I can not use the tab button. The current directory is not displayed. These are some of the problems. Lot of the programs that I was looking for were in /usr/swf/bin. But when I install any packages it is installed to the /usr/local/ by default. Any advice or suggestion on that.
Old 25-11-2009

Hi
Quote:
But when I install any packages it is installed to the /usr/local/ by default
The /usr directory is only for all the software's with the solaris operating system. If you want to store the file at your desired location then create a directory /pot/local and make /usr/local a symbolic link. Additionally the /opt directory is for storing add-on software to the system.
Quote:
To complete any command name I can not use the tab button.
I am sorry for that but it is the feature of a bash shell.
Quote:
The current directory is not displayed.
I think this can be done with ksh shell also.

TechArena Community > Software > Windows Software
Tags: , , , ,