Thread: Package Management in Solaris

Package Management in Solaris

Hi
    For a few years now I have been using slackware, so decide to move on to Solaris. I have recently purchased a new computer and installed solaris 10 on it. Now I am working with solaris, but I have some issues in that.
    1) Package Management in Solaris - Solaris uses pkgadd to install the packages. I just downloaded the packages from the repository, unzipped and installed. Are there any better way to do this task? How to view all the packages that I have installed on my system? How can i remove and upgrade a package.
    2) How can I sort my PATH properly? I think it is currently showing to /usr/sbin. I know there more than this to add. wget works when I am adding some a path. But I think there is some thing more and how can I make this permanent?
    3) I always like bash but the default shell is /bin/sh. Is there a way to make the bash shell default? Where to set the bashrc file?

Re: Package Management in Solaris

Hi,
    How to view all the packages that I have installed on my system?
    You can use the command pkginfo and prodreg to do this.
    How can i remove and upgrade a package.
    for doing the same you can use pkgrm then pkgadd to add a software. You can also use pkg-get which handles the version check, dependencies and updates.
    I always like bash but the default shell is /bin/sh. Is there a way to make the bash shell default? Where to set the bashrc file?
    Firstly switch to the root account and then change the user shell by using the command "passwd -e". My advice to you is set the root shell as bash and create an alias account instead. You said you are scared by the /etc/profile, what scares you in the file. Also if you do not know about this file do not make changes in the file you may mess your system.

Hi
    Thanks for the useful information provided.
    You can use the command pkginfo and prodreg to do this.
    That works really very well, I have not tried the pkg-get but I will soon try it.
    You said you are scared by the /etc/profile, what scares you in the file.
    I think this is the problem of the shell. When I press the back space to delete ^H is displayed. Event the delete button displays ^[[3~. To complete any command name I can not use the tab button. The current directory is not displayed. These are some of the problems. Lot of the programs that I was looking for were in /usr/swf/bin. But when I install any packages it is installed to the /usr/local/ by default. Any advice or suggestion on that.

Hi
    But when I install any packages it is installed to the /usr/local/ by default
    The /usr directory is only for all the software's with the solaris operating system. If you want to store the file at your desired location then create a directory /pot/local and make /usr/local a symbolic link. Additionally the /opt directory is for storing add-on software to the system.
    To complete any command name I can not use the tab button.
    I am sorry for that but it is the feature of a bash shell.
    The current directory is not displayed.
    I think this can be done with ksh shell also.