Thread: Outlook 2007 password storing error

Outlook 2007 password storing error

I'm sporadically and frequently getting a popup asking to enter my pop-server password even though its saved. It happens to random email accounts.

First: System and background:

Win7, Outlook 2007 Enterprise, POP server (owned domain at hosting service). Win7 was a clean installation and had no issues until a couple days ago.

I've read just about everything I can find and here is what I've done, none of it having worked:

-Deleted every mailbox account and rebuilt them

-Deleted the PROTECT folder

-Removed all anti-virus software

-Did a Ststem restore to about a week before the proble started

-Obviously checked the password save box

-Tried Outlook in safe mode

Then I unisntalled Office 2007 and reinstalled to no avail. However, after install my settings were still there so registery entries obviously were not deleted.

I found a MS support article that explains how to reset the registry permissions and delete old account info within the registry for XP, but not Vista or Win7.

A solution would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Outlook 2007 password storing error

Create a new Outlook profile, and then configure the new profile to use the personal folders (.pst) file that was used by the damaged profile. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Locate the .pst file
    • Start Outlook.
    • On the Tools menu, click Account Settings.
    • On the E-mail tab, click your e-mail account.
    • In the Account settings dialog box, under Selected e-mail account delivers new e-mail messages to the following location, you will see the path and the file name for the .pst file that is associated with your e-mail profile. For example, the path and the file name may resemble the following:
      C:\Documents and Settings\ user_name \Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Personal Folders(1).pst
    • Note the path and the file name for the .pst file that is associated with your e-mail profile.

2. Create a new e-mail profile in Outlook
    3. Configure the new profile to use the .pst file that was used by the damaged profile

Refer this for more information.

Re: Outlook 2007 password storing error

Thank you. I did that when I deleted all the accounts before and it didn't work.

I got this resolved this morning by going a little further than what the support document suggested (again, that didn't work the first time).

For those that may run into this issue with Vista or WIn7, and based on Google there are many of you, here's what I would up doing:

Restarting Outlook with each step:

1. Delete all email accounts.

2. Disengage all PST files.

3. Open a new and temporary PST.

4. Close Outlook.

5. Delete the PROTECT folder from USERS - {user name} - AppData - Roaming - Microsoft - PROTECT

6. Restart Outlook and load original PSTs, set new default, delete temporary PST

7. Create new email accounts.

I tried all these steps individually or in other combinations and this one finally worked.