Thread: Multi Field value field in Microsoft Access

Multi Field value field in Microsoft Access

Hi,
    I need some examples about how to use Multi-Field values of it. I also need a small description of this. I have some tables where I want to apply this option. As never done this before so I have some doubts. Like how values accepts a multi-value field. And now can I display labels instead of values in a multi-value field. In the same way is it possible to use the Multi-Value fields with a large volume of data. Thanks in advance.

Re: Multi Field value field in Microsoft Access

The Multi-Value fields can store multiple values in one field. They replace the tables and relationships used in many to many. Lest take a sample here. Below there are products with quantity. Product (Tea, Coffee, Cold drink). Quantity (2,4,6). So when you create table and then use this function the result would be like this. (Tea, Coffee, Cold drink, quantity)

Fields in multi-valued fields are represented as sub-recordset, the number of values does not seem limited. Anyway, I managed to insert more than 100,000 values without errors. Note, however, it is evident that many values will quickly drop performance. In an application, a multi-value field displays only the value of the bound column of the list box.

The volume of data reaches the 100,000 lines, the performance is poor. The processing time is about 10 times longer than a 1-N relationship. However, not limited to such a test so few records. Also, on a much more extensive (200 classes for 10,000 students and an average of 10 students per class), it appears that the use of fields Multi-Value becomes truly detrimental. For proof, one call of the R03 application is run 0.8 seconds, while the appeal of R02 requires more than 10 seconds.