Thread: Need Information on Office Share Point

Need Information on Office Share Point

Hi,
    Does anyone is familiar with Share Point Server. I need some information on it. Like what is a site collection in it. What are the basic terms of this applications. What do you means by a content type site for what reasons. I have some sites and I want to manage them by using Share Point. But before I need a overview of this application. There are more tools but I found this with more features and many platforms. Thanks in advance.

Re: Need Information on Office Share Point

The application is the highest object in the hierarchy of SharePoint objects. An application contains one or more site collections themselves contain one or more sites. A site collection is a whole site with a logical link between them. You can define one or more directors of the collection that can then manage it. The interest for linking sites of the same nature or intended audience is one explained them to safety. Indeed, if we create two sites for completely different audiences within a single site collection, you will experience more difficulty in assigning permissions to users thereafter. It is better to think of a correct architecture before any development.

A web is actually a site that itself may contain various objects such as lists of documents, personal lists, calendars, etc. A site column is defined at a site or site collection and be used later by any list and / or any site content type. You can compare a site column to a column of a table in a database because their goal is identical: to describe the data. It also called Sharepoint columns "Metadata".

The advantage of using a Web Column is that we will be able to define once and use it everywhere, thus greatly reducing maintenance. Say you have a column representing the name of a person. You could for example create a column "NomPersonne" and use them in lists "Suppliers" and "Clients". The advantage is that if later, you must increase the number of characters allowed for this column, all lists and site content types using it will be automatically updated.