Thread: WSUS 3.0 SP2 SUSDB file after install

WSUS 3.0 SP2 SUSDB file after install

I have a Windows Server 2003 Standard R2 running WSUS 3.0 SP2. I just installed it recently with no previous versions or content on this server. After configuration, my SUSDB file is already over 832MB? I haven't downloaded nor approved anything yet.

The other problem I have is that only 41 of my 90 PCs in my network have been detected. I am using this .bat to put into the group policy. should I be doing anything else for the group policy to detect and install updates easier? I am trying to simplify this procedure as much as I can.

@echo on
    Echo This batch file will Force the Update Detection from the AU client:
    Echo 1. Stops the Automatic Updates Service (wuauserv)
    Echo 2. Deletes the LastWaitTimeout registry key (if it exists)
    Echo 3. Deletes the DetectionStartTime registry key (if it exists)
    Echo 4. Deletes the NextDetectionTime registry key (if it exists)
    Echo 5. Restart the Automatic Updates Service (wuauserv)
    Echo 6. Force the detection
    @echo on
    net stop wuauserv
    REG DELETE "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update" /v LastWaitTimeout /f
    REG DELETE "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update" /v DetectionStartTime /f
    Reg Delete "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update" /v NextDetectionTime /f
    net start wuauserv
    @echo off
    Echo This AU client will now check for the Updates on the Local WSUS Server.
    exit

Re: WSUS 3.0 SP2 SUSDB file after install

If the W.I.D. has not been uninstalled, and is corrupted somehow, that would manifest as a connection failure during the installation. Check that the user executing the SP2 installer has sysadmin permissions (or appropriate permissions for db creation/maintenance) in your SQL instance. In order to resolve your above issue, you need to check out the following links.

Cannot complete WSUS 3.0 reinstall

WSUS 3.0 SP1 upgrade from 2.0 SP2 fails with Error 0x80040E14

http://forums.techarena.in/server-up...ice/780437.htm

http://forums.techarena.in/small-bus...ver/992423.htm

Re: WSUS 3.0 SP2 SUSDB file after install

None of my PCs are imaged. Most are all OEM of XP, a couple vista and one 2000. I am using 8530 and that server indicates that WSUS is working correctly. There is another website running on this server controlled by another network admin and he won't approve to uninstall IIS (if that is where the problem lies) There are no errors on client machines indicating any problems. I haven't approved any updates but I have kept everything for 2009 as unapproved. How can my SUSDB file be 832 MB with no approved updates?? The .bat that I have now seems to list all detected computers in WSUS to report. Before I roll this out to the domain, my other admin wants me to prove that this is the best method to be using. Any other scripts or ideas and a better explanation on SUSDB would be very helpful.

Thanks