Thread: Disable Recent Documents in Vista

Disable Recent Documents in Vista

Hi,
    You know that when you open any file then the document history is recorded in the Recent Documents folder. The same can be clear either by deleting manually or by going in the Start Menu Properties. And the file history are displayed on the Start Menu itself. I want to disable this option. The reason for this is that I view certain files and sometime I forgot to clear the Recent document folder. I just want to permanently disable it along with system tray. I need information on this. Other thing how to facilitate the transition from one window to another without a single click. And the last thing I want to know is to turn on and off hibernation by using the command prompt i.e. cmd. I am using Vista. Thanks in advance.

Re: Disable Recent Documents in Vista

Yes it is possible to disable this option. If you did not want Windows to keep a track of what files you open and used then you can simply turn this feature off from Windows Registry. To disable run registry editor by typing regedit in the search box. Then follow the tree - HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Policies \. Here see for the DWORD NoRecentDocsHistory key if not then create one. Set the value 1 for it. The other way is by right clicking on Start Menu > Properties and then unchecking the boxes which are related to privacy.

It is possible to facilitate the transition from one window to another without a single click. This can be done by using Easy Access of option in Windows Vista. You can define the way how your mouse works. You have to perform tens or even hundreds of times per day, to bring a windows forefront. To change this go to Control Panel. Then click on Options usability (Easy Access Of). After that click Change the way your mouse works. Check the box Enable a window by hovering the mouse.

If you want to disable standby, then run cmd. Make sure that you are logged in as administrator. Then in the cmd (command prompt) type Powercfg.exe / hibernate off. The option will be turned off and in the same way to switch it on type Powercfg.exe / hibernate on. To disable the system tray you will have to edit Windows Registry file. To do this click on Start > and type regedit in the search box. Go the following tree HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer] NoTrayItemsDisplay=dword:00000001. Change the value to 00000000. Reboot your system and check back again.