Thread: Edit the registry of another user in Vista

Edit the registry of another user in Vista

Hi,
    I need some information on Windows Vista registry editor. A user has installed some program in my computer. The programed is removed but due to the key in registry it is giving out error message. How can I edit the registry to another user from my account. I think it is fine if I restore the registry from a different computer. I just need a procedure for the same. And in the same way I need some details on using a older version of Windows tools in Vista.

Re: Edit the registry to another user

To edit the registry to another user. Start the registry editor (Start > Run > Type regedit without the quotes), select a root key, eg - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. Now click on File > C , and select the file Ntuser.dat located in the user profile (by default C: \ Users \ UserName) you want to edit the properties. Ntuser.dat is a hidden file. Therefore you have enabled the display of these files. Once loaded, it must give a name to this new hive. Once this is done, a new key under HKEY_CURRENT_USER is created with the name you just typed. This is actually the key HKEY_CURRENT_USER that other user. You can then modify the settings you want. After changing the profile of another user: click the menu File > Unload Hive.

To restore a backup of the registry first get access to the registry by clicking on Start > Run > Type regedit> Click Ok. Click on File > Import. A backup window opens. You can choose the location where you stored the backup file. Click on open your registry is then restored to its state before backup. The second way is first access to the location of your backup of the registry in Windows Explorer and start > programs > windows explorer. Double-click the file. REG corresponding to the backup to restore. Confirm by clicking Yes.

To use a program for an older version of Windows (95, 98, Me, 2000 or earlier ). Windows Vista can indeed operate programs designed for older versions of Windows 95, 98, Me, 2000 or NT, Windows XP SP2 or Windows 2003 SP1. This is done via the execution in compatibility mode. To do this, click with right mouse button on the executable (. Exe,. BAT or. COM) for the program. Choose "Create Shortcut". Please click with the right button on the created shortcut, choose Properties, then click the tab "Shortcut". Check "Run in compatibility mode" and select the pulldown menu next version of Windows for which this program has been planned.

Here is a small trick which can help you to automatically empty the cache of Windows Vista. Click Start > Run, then type regedit without quotes. Expand the tree - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / System / CurrentControlSet / Control / Session Manager / Memory Management and then select ClearPageFileAtShutdown. Set its value to 1 to enable the cache flush.