Thread: Anti virus for Fedora

Anti virus for Fedora

Hi,
    Our college has installed fedora and a server with a antivirus. The antivirus they are using is Avast-Home Edition (Free). So, I downloaded it and tried to install it. When I run the anti virus it only scans the home directory i.e the standard edition. When I try to scan the entire system through through scan the system freezes. Even the mouse and keyword is not recognized, so I have to manually shut down the computer. Avast asks for the registration key every time a reboot. Can any one help me, this is like frustrating me.

Re: Anti virus for Fedora

Hi
    I do not use any anti virus software on my linux PC. But I know the AVG (free) work just fine with linux distributions. Do not know about the avast though. If I used any at all, I would probably be inclined to use an open source solution. I found Clam antiVirus in Synaptic, you might want to see that. I would probably be inclined to use an open source solution.

Hi,
    Why are you running real time anti-virus on Linux? For a mail server or spam filter use paid Kaspersky. I think you do not really need a anti virus for linux operating system (thats one of the innumerable beauties of Linux). This is because it is based and shell structure. Still if youare interested to use, use Avast, its free for home users. AVG also has a free linux version.

I have not heard the anti virus on linux. I just remember that when I was using XWindows on Slackware 3 it was very much impossible to hard lock the machine If my desktop is freezed I used to htokey to a command prompt, then kill 'X' I'd end up at the command line and just do my Xwindows startup script again. I feel now that Linux has gained more Windows Like structure, it may not be as rock solid as in the old days. But it may be worth a try before powering down still.