Thread: How to backup iphoto library

How to backup iphoto library

Hi,

I have the new iLife '09. I would like to move my Iphoto library to an external disc drive so that I can free up memory on my ibook. Is there any software available what will allow the use of multiple DVD's to copy the iPhoto Library? How can I backup iphoto library on external drive ??

Re: How to backup iphoto library

If you want only one way that iPhoto can only read, simply select the photos you want to backup and use the "Burn" button in iPhoto. These can not be read by other programs, or PC, but they are a good backup of your own computer. If you want to copy a DVD and perhaps others use them, then select the photos you want, export them to a folder on the desktop, and then using Toast or Disk Utility or burn them to DVD. I think that if you insert a DVD, once displayed on the desktop you can drag the folder containing the images to it and must burn well

You can use a dedicated disc burning app instead of just the Finder, or try using iPhoto's built-in burn command that might offer a burning option. But backups on external harddrive instead of Dvd's and run for full system backups, that is better.

I don't know any software that is specified for iPhoto backup. Your iPhoto library has built-in user home folder > Photos. The simple way is to drag-drop this iPhoto library to your external drive. Start iPhoto, hold down option button immediately and you will be able to choose the library on your external drive. If you use iPhoto's export function, you'll get better results than if you copy the iPhoto folder.