Thread: Mime Type for swf

Mime Type for swf

I am trying to upload PDF flyers on my website but the problem is it cannot be displayed to web browsers. Now i want to upload swf flyers made from Flashpaper, Can any one tell me the mime type for SWF. Any recommendations and suggestions are appreciated.

Re: Mime Type for swf

MIME means Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions, and refers to an official Internet standard that specifies how messages must be formatted so that they can be exchanged between different email systems. The file format SWF is a partially open repository for multimedia and especially for vector graphics, originated with FutureWave Software and has come under the control of Adobe.

It may be possible that your site is not returning the proper MIME content-type for SWF files.Macromedia Flash (SWF) files have the extension .swf and currently for historical reasons the MIME type is application/x-shockwave-flash. Macromedia Flash Player movies (SWFs) can be served from just about any web server. The only requirement is that the proper MIME type (Multi-Purpose Internet Mail Extensions) for SWFs be configured on the web server.

Some host servers may not be setup to handle specific file types such as mp3 or swf files. swf mime type is application/ x-shockwave-flash.
    MIME provides a way for non-text information to be encoded as text. AddType specified you are adding a new mime type (file type). application/ x-shockwave-flash is the actual mime parameter specs. swf is the extension of the file type.

I realize this thread is ancient, but for the sake of people who end up here with a Google search, I'd like to clear up a few statements here that aren't quite right.

While it is true that MIME types originated to describe content types for data sent in email, they are now used in a very wide array of places. The most important use is for web servers to tell web browsers the type of data that is found at a particular URL.

So HTML, for example, is text/html.

Note that this has nothing to do with encoding binary data as text. That is handled separately. The MIME type describes the type of data once it has been decoded. For example, image/jpeg. Encoding as text for transport in email is described by the Content-Transfer-Encoding field, not the MIME type. It's not done at all for the web; instead the HTTP protocol provides Content-Encoding: header, which is used to describe binary compression rather than expansion into text.

vishodhan's information is correct, and JonathanD provided the procedure for the Apache web server, if that's the server you're using.

I just wanted to clear up the confusion about MIME types themselves.