Thread: Installing beryl on XFCE4

Post Installing beryl on XFCE4

Hi,
    I am using a Linux PC on XFCE4 desktop. I want to put Beryl on it. I have the file but does not know the procedure to install it. Does this tool will support the operating system. From long time I am looking for 3D Linux desktop. I found this tool as best and the known one. I have a Graphic too in my system for this purpose. Also is it possible to run Dual monitors on Linux platforms. Thanks in advance.

Re: Installing beryl on XFCE4

Yes Beryl is the 3D Linux desktop. Finally this is not the best but the best known and most advanced. If you do not have a NVidia card, you must install aiglx is an add-on for the X server, it is preferred over Xgl is an over-layer is therefore more resource-intensive. I started by installing the drivers - # apt-get install nvidia-glx. Then edit the configuration file server X. You can use the command - nvidia-xconfig. This can replace the nv driver per nvidia glx and dri by. In case of problems while rebooting on the server, you will find a copy of your old file in / etc/X11. In the Device section, also add options and AddARGBGLXVisuals AANoOffscreenPixmaps. And add a section Extensions to the end of the file - Section "Extensions", Option "Composite" "Enable", EndSection. Restart the X server and you should soon see the NVidia logo on startup if everything went fine.

As in XFCE, I do not want to install the expenses related to KDE or gnome emerald seems more popular. You must add the beryl repositories to your / etc / apt / sources.list. Then give the following command to get the themes - # apt-get install beryl emerald emerald-themes. Remember to put themes of emerald, you will need to add dependencies, but without them, you will not able to decorate your windows. Finally, it is best to run all those small world when you start your XFCE session. For this first create a file for beryl:

Code:
    $ less ~/.config/autostart/beryl.desktop 
    [Desktop Entry] 
    Name=Beryl 
    Encoding=UTF-8 
    Version=1.0 
    Exec=beryl-manager 
    X-GNOME-Autostart-enabled=true
    And for a second emerald:

Code:
    $ less ~/.config/autostart/emerald.desktop 
    [Desktop Entry] 
    Name=Emerald 
    Encoding=UTF-8 
    Version=1.0 
    Exec=emerald --replace

At least under Mandriva 2007.X (not with the new version of xorg) I have a problem viewing videos with multiple display. I just found the remedy on Mandriva Linux 2007: I had applied the patches for Office 3D. Under KDE, the management of the two screens is automatic. One can simply place the mouse on the taskbar where you want by dragging it to the desired location. It is also possible to set KDE to use two custom screens with the control center in KDE display device. You might have to choose to disable the maximization with multiple monitors that is maximizing a window. In Gnome as KDE is the location of the task bars are operated simply with the mouse. In IceWM the location of the taskbar itself manages the configuration file ~ / .icewm / preferences with the option XineramaPrimaryScreen = 1 (0 for the first screen sets in the ServerLayout). Although the bar display is made on a single screen, maximizing the screen on the screen without the task bar does not take the place of this bar on the other screen.