Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Thread: Can not open file "Xlsx" with excel 2007

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    5

    Can not open file "Xlsx" with excel 2007

    Hello, I am currently working on an application with java and I want to do is save the result of SQL queries in an XL file (Excel 2007) the problem is that when I save the file .xlsx at opening the file it gives me the following message

    Excel cannot open the file '(filename)'.xlsx' because the file format or file extension is not valid. Verify that the file has not been corrupted and that the file extension matches the format of the file.
    But when I save the file with the extension. xls (Excel 2003) file opens without any problem. please advice , thank you for your help in advance.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    117

    Re: Can not open file "Xlsx" with excel 2007

    Most often its because of the macros are not able to be converted. Microsoft doesn't guarantee that the converter will work in all instances. If it doesn't, there isn't much you can do - other than (in Excel 2007) do a Save As and select an earlier version of Excel in which to save the file. If xls format is working fine then you don't need to worry for anything, use it.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,139

    Re: Can not open file "Xlsx" with excel 2007

    I believe I saw that error when I saved a file programmatically using the wrong syntax. Might that be the problem? In my case, it's either a password protected file.

    Refer to this microsoft help : Error message when you try to open a workbook that you receive in an e-mail message for review in Excel 2007: "Excel cannot open the file"

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    211

    Re: Can not open file "Xlsx" with excel 2007

    This error occurs when trying to open xls file with excel 2007. To fix the error Try following:

    • First open Registry Editor (Go to Start -> Run -> regedit.exe)
    • Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\OFFICE\12.0\EXCEL\SECURITY
    • Right click in the right window and choose New -> DWORD
    • Type “ExtensionHardening” as the name (without the quotes)
    • Verify that the data has the value “0″

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1

    unsure Re: Can not open file "Xlsx" with excel 2007

    Hi. I tried all of the above. I also have Excel 2007 not 2003. Anyone suggest what next? It is a shared file on a network where a Mac can also open it. Do you think that could be it. All of the other excel files in that file are all ok....

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1

    Re: Can not open file "Xlsx" with excel 2007

    very simple!!!
    click on 'Office Button' (top left of excel screen)
    navaigate to bottom and click on 'Excel Options'
    click on 'Save'
    select 'excel workbook(*.xlxs)' under 'Save files in this format:'
    click 'OK'

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    3

    Re: Can not open file "Xlsx" with excel 2007

    Hi frens..

    I tried all of the above. I also have Excel 2007 not 2003. Anyone suggest what next? All of the other excel files in that file are all ok. please reply as soon as possible with Exact Solution..

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,602

    Re: Can not open file "Xlsx" with excel 2007

    Quote Originally Posted by umapathiece View Post
    Hi frens..

    I tried all of the above. I also have Excel 2007 not 2003. Anyone suggest what next? All of the other excel files in that file are all ok. please reply as soon as possible with Exact Solution..
    So you are saying that you have office 2003 installed on your pc and want to open a document created with Office 2007, if so then you will need to install a small patch for office 2003 that takes care of automatically converting the document so you can open it with the 2003 version. Installing the following patch will solve this for office 2003: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/pr...686761033.aspx

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    3

    Re: Can not open file "Xlsx" with excel 2007

    Hi Expertz., Thanks for your reply.,
    i have MS Office 2007.which is saved with extension as .xlsx by default.. i m opening and saving with some datas.,again i m opening its opening fine..but My problem is,i m importing the Excel from my silverlight application with extension .Xlsx..when i m trying to open that file.its shows the message "Excel cannot open the file '(filename)'.xlsx' because the file format or file extension is not valid. Verify that the file has not been corrupted and that the file extension matches the format of the file".
    please reply as soon as possible with Exact Solution..its taking more time..

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,742

    Re: Can not open file "Xlsx" with excel 2007

    Quote Originally Posted by umapathiece View Post
    Hi Expertz., Thanks for your reply.,
    i have MS Office 2007.which is saved with extension as .xlsx by default.. i m opening and saving with some datas.,again i m opening its opening fine..but My problem is,i m importing the Excel from my silverlight application with extension .Xlsx..when i m trying to open that file.its shows the message "Excel cannot open the file '(filename)'.xlsx' because the file format or file extension is not valid. Verify that the file has not been corrupted and that the file extension matches the format of the file".
    please reply as soon as possible with Exact Solution..its taking more time..
    There is a simple fix to work around this issue, save the workbook as one of the following file formats before you send the workbook for review:
    • Excel Binary Workbook (*.xlsb)
    • Excel 97-2003 Workbook (*.xls)

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    3

    Re: Can not open file "Xlsx" with excel 2007

    Hi JAMES_911., Thanks for your reply.,

    My problem is,i m importing the Excel from my silverlight application with extension .Xlsx..when i m trying to open that file.its shows the message "Excel cannot open the file '(filename)'.xlsx' because the file format or file extension is not valid. Verify that the file has not been corrupted and that the file extension matches the format of the file". i want to know How to fix this without changing file formats..hope you got clear idea..looking forward for exact solution...thanks in advance..

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,742

    Re: Can not open file "Xlsx" with excel 2007

    Quote Originally Posted by umapathiece View Post
    Hi JAMES_911., Thanks for your reply.,

    My problem is,i m importing the Excel from my silverlight application with extension .Xlsx..when i m trying to open that file.its shows the message "Excel cannot open the file '(filename)'.xlsx' because the file format or file extension is not valid. Verify that the file has not been corrupted and that the file extension matches the format of the file". i want to know How to fix this without changing file formats..hope you got clear idea..looking forward for exact solution...thanks in advance..
    There is no way to open .Xlsx file either without converting it to some other file or changing the extensions of the file format. If you want then you can download openoffice and see if it opens the .Xlsx file on your pc. But if the file is corrupt or doesnt suppoer the openoffice then you will have to follow the suggestions given as above.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1

    Re: Can not open file "Xlsx" with excel 2007

    Hi

    I have use the office 2007 i am facing that problem with my file "Excel cannot open the file '(filename)'.xlsx' because the file format or file extension is not valid. Verify that the file has not been corrupted and that the file extension matches the format of the file". any body plesae reply urgent

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7

    Re: Can not open file "Xlsx" with excel 2007

    Try this: To resolve follow the simple steps below:

    - Click Start >> Run

    - Type regedit and click Ok (This opens the registry editor)
    - Navigate to Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications and find your .exe name For example purposes I have browsed to EXCEL (See pic below) Expand EXCEL >> shell >> open >> command


    - In the right hand pane double click the (Default) string and change the path to the location of the actual executable (Microsoft Excel in this case)


    - Click OK and close Registry Editor

    - Now simply reassociate the file type as you normally would.

    The simplest way of doing this is to right-click file and click Open With.

    If you have problems, give me a shout.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1

    Re: Can not open file "Xlsx" with excel 2007

    Hi umapathiece or rashida2z

    I got stuck with the same problem. Did any one of you got the solution?

    If "yes". Please post it here.

    Thanks for your time..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 31-12-2013, 09:36 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 15-02-2012, 07:14 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 14-10-2011, 12:18 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 22-10-2009, 10:03 PM
  5. Open Excel file and save as .xlsx using VB code
    By Bisujaksha in forum Software Development
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-06-2009, 08:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •