Thread: PowerDVD Hardware Acceleration causes problems on Windows Xp

PowerDVD Hardware Acceleration causes problems on Windows Xp

I'm running Windows Xp as my operating system. Recent i had bought a new Cyberlink PowerDVD. Now the problem is that whenever I try to start a movie with Hardware Acceleration enabled there is a short access to the DVD and then PowerDVD freezes. Without hardware acceleration PowerDVD works fine. Power DVD always says "The current mode is not supported, DDraw overlay mode is recommended". Does any body know that why does PowerDVD Hardware Acceleration causes problems on my Windows Xp? Any one has any idea about it? Pleas help me to resolve the above issue.

Re: PowerDVD Hardware Acceleration causes problems on Windows Xp

Any time a program uses an overlay to display video (which BTV does), it can cause problems with other programs that create overlays. Make sure your graphics card and its driver meet the minimum requirement. You can run CyberLink BD Advisor to check if your graphics card is capable to play Blu-ray Disc.

PurevideoHD is the driver framework that provides access to the accelerated hardware in the Nvidia GPU, you still need a decoder to make use of it. It sounds like you are saying that your HD-DVD's play smoothly, with no skipping and no problems. PowerDVD (and others) include decoders to make use of the PurevideoHD framework.

PowerDVD detected that your system doesn't meet the requirement required to play the Blu-ray Disc title with a digital connection. Whilst the PowerDVD decoders are predominantly directshow, the VC-1 decoder is intimately tied into their player and does not work in external filter graphs. The H.264 decoder is externally accessible, but has issues. I'm not sure about mpeg2 and mpeg4 decoding. DirectX seems to "prefer" being installed as the last item (after all driver and codec updates). The old Purevideo mpeg2 decoder functionality is now performed by 3rd party decoders, accessing the accelerated hardware via the PurevideoHD driver framework.

HD DVD playback on a PC is still relatively new, as is the format itself, so in terms of hardware acceleration we have to wait until ATI and nVidia iron out any issues with their drivers. I believe Nero and Arcsoft's HD players use PurevideoHD, but unsure whether the decoders are externally accessible.