Thread: Problem with Xvid to DVD conversion

Problem with Xvid to DVD conversion

I have a Pioneer DV 383 player & a Pioneer DVR 540H recorder, both play Divx. I am experiencing a problem when trying to use my Xvid videos into Adobe Encore DVD. The problems is that i have to run into Adobe Encore does not like handling video clips of either Xvid or DivX. They import fine, but when trying to burn a DVD containing either Xvid or DivX video, I get an "Abnormal termination" erroron my pc. So can any body tell me that why i'm having problem with Xvid to DVD conversion? Does any body knows about it? Kindly heelp me out to resolve the above issue.

Re: Problem with Xvid to DVD conversion

The Xvid and Divx codecs are fairly compatible, but not completely. I would say the recorder simply needs a firmware update. Yes you can flashupdate DVD players and recorders. It's possible there was a Xvid codec update or they did something different for that particular file.

When doing a two pass encoding, first configure the settings such as quality, etc. you require and then select "2 pass 1st pass" for the "Encoding Mode". The audiostream is probably in either .AC3 format or Variable Bitrate MPEG Layer 3 (VBR .MP3). Load the .AVI file into VirtualDub (or any of its variants). Start the Encoder and delete the output file it creates. Now, go back into XVid settings and select "2 pass -2nd pass ext/int" and enter your desired file size and start the encoding process again and you should have a proper output file.

The same applies to DivX and most other codecs that are set to two pass. The first pass gathers information on how to encode with the second pass, so the first pass will generate an empty or audio only output file. In TMPGEnc, under the "Environmental Settings" "VFAPI plugin" tab rightclick on the "Direct Show Multimedia Reader" and increase to one greater than the highest priority of listed items. Where as with the second pass, the encoder will use the information gathered from the first pass to encode the video with higher quality and produce a predictable file size than just a 1 pass encoding mode. This will enable TMPGEnc to accept a properly encoded .AVI with .AC3 audio for input.

Simply use VirtualDubMOD (Different than standard VirtualDub), to save the audio stream as an Uncompressed PCM (WAV) file. Vso Software's DivXToDVD is yet another simple to use program that can convert your DivX/XviD files (as well as some other formats) to a DVD video disc which you can view using your standalone player.