Thread: Error "Microsoft Office 2008 cannot start because it is already in use"

Error "Microsoft Office 2008 cannot start because it is already in use"

Hi friends, i need a urgent help from you all guys. I am using Office 2008 for Mac on my MAC OS X operating system. Installed it last week. Yesterday i used it for the first time on the same machine but now when i am trying to open open any of its application, it gives me an error message stating "Microsoft Office 2008 cannot start because it is already in use." I tried to open it again after rebooting the system, but still the error occurs. Is there any one to help me out in this case ?

Re: Error "Microsoft Office 2008 cannot start because it is already in use"

I think the cause for this error may be that another instance of Office 2008 for Mac is installed on a computer that is connected to a network and is running on another computer that is connected to the network. To resolve this issue, you must remove the licensing information for Office 2008 for Mac from one of the computers.

Then, enter new and valid licensing information for Office 2008 for Mac on that computer.

When you start an Office 2008 for Mac program, the program sends out a request over the network. The request looks for other Office 2008 for Mac programs that are running on other computers that are connected to the network. If other Office 2008 for Mac programs are running, the programs compare product ID numbers with the requesting program. If any of those product ID numbers match, the requesting program does not start. Additionally, the warning message that is mentioned in the "Symptoms" section appears.

To remove the Office 2008 for Mac licensing information and enter the correct information, follow these steps:-

• In Finder, click Go, and then click Applications.
    • Open the Microsoft Office 2008 folder, and then open the Office folder.
    • Drag OfficePID.plist to the Trash.
    • Close all windows.
    • In Finder, click Go, and then click Home.
    • Open the Library folder, open the Preferences folder, and then open the Microsoft folder.
    • Drag the Office 2008 folder to the Trash.
    • Restart Office 2008, and enter a new or unused CD-Key when you are prompted.

This solution does not seem to help in my case.
    I originally installed Office on 2 different macbooks using the same serial number, then bought a SECOND copy of the software bc I was getting annoyed everytime I kept getting shut out for the above error message. But, after going through the prescribed procedures to delete the “plist” files and install the new code (which didn't resolve the issue), followed by a complete uninstall and reinstall of the program, I still get the error message as long as both computers are connected to the same network and running Word at the same time.
    Please help!