Thread: Windows Xp Error "Devices or applications disabled"

Windows Xp Error "Devices or applications disabled"

Hi guys i need some urgent help from you all guys regarding the Windows CE emulator. From last few hours i was trying to install Windows CE emulator on my Windows Xp based computer. Well, after lots of effort it got installed but after that when i restarted my system, it gives me error message stating "Devices or applications disabled. 'Virtual PC/Windows CE Emulator' will cause Windows to become unstable. Windows has prevented these drivers from loading."

To be frank i had no idea of this kind of error messages. Could you guys please make me know what does it means and how can i fix this error ? Please help me soon.

Re: Windows Xp Error "Devices or applications disabled"

Most probably this kind of error occurs when your computer has Data Execution Prevention that is also known as (DEP) hardware. In this situation when you install a Microsoft Windows CE emulator, Microsoft eMbedded Visual C++, Microsoft Visual Studio 2003, or Windows CE Platform Builder on Xp or XP service pack 2, you get the said error.

This is because the Windows CE emulators do not work correctly if Physical Address Extension (PAE) mode is enabled. This is due to XP SP2 does not allow the Virtual PC/Windows CE Emulator driver (VPCAppSv.sys) to load when hardware-based DEP is enabled. This is part of the Windows XP SP2 Driver Protection feature.

In order to fix this error you need to disable hardware-based DEP on your windows Xp or SP2 based computer. To do so, just go through this steps:-

• Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl, and then click OK.

• In the System Properties dialog box, click the Advanced tab.

• Under Start and Recovery, click Settings.

• In the Startup and Recovery dialog box, click Edit.

• Disable PAE mode by removing the /pae option if it exists.

• If you are using Windows XP SP2, remove the /noexecute option if it exists, and then add the /execute option.

• On the File menu, click Save.

• To exit Notepad, click Exit on the File menu.

• To close System Properties, click OK two times.

• Restart your computer.

Data Execution Prevention (DEP) is a set of hardware and software technologies that perform additional checks on memory to help prevent malicious code from running on a system. In Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) and Microsoft Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005, DEP is enforced by hardware and by software. PAE mode must be enabled for DEP to work. Windows XP automatically enables PAE mode to support hardware-based DEP. You do not have to make an entry in the Boot.ini file to enable PAE mode.