Thread: cannot logon to win XP due to password, cannot start in safe mode due to crash

cannot logon to win XP due to password, cannot start in safe mode due to crash

Hi,

Im using Win XP SP2 professional and i uninstalled my modem software for orange broadband and speedtouch thomson 330 USB modem, then i restarted the pc. On reboot, i have to login which i never have had to do before. the Pc User button requires a password which i never assigned. ive tried Admin,admin etc. and even blank. when i enter a password which i havent got a clue what it is, says "the system cannot log you on because the domain LAN1 is not available"

this pc has never been part of a domain or server. nor have i ever had to log in to windows before. Please can anyone help? I understand that rebooting in safe mode and signing into administrator will help, but when I reboot in safe mode the pc turns off at the windows loading page. Please can anyone help? I have a lot of work and have no backup of my hard drive.

My pc is a dual core athlon 64 bit
    windows xp Pro sp2
    2gb ram

thanks, Marcos.

cool Re: cannot logon to win XP due to password, cannot start in safe mode due to crash

I had the same problem, but on an hp pavilion...so my comp kept going into vga mode..really sucked..so, what idid after reading and trying numerous things..I went into RC and typed help BOOTCFG.... it gives a list of options, well I did BOOTCFG /REBUILD..that gave me back my options..last known good config etc..then I couldn't gain access to win wouldn't accept my admin password..so I went back into RC and typed help RENAME then it gave me an idea..so this is what I typed RENAME C:/WINDOWS \mycomp and it changed my volume on disk..but you would want to change it to whatever drive you use etc also there are a list of commands after you type help RENAME...it worked on my comp..obviously i'm up and running again..this is not for the weak of heart..and if you don't know what you're doing you could really screw things up..oh btw..all my music, pics...etc were saved I lost nothing it just created a folder for it...GOOD LUCK , It took me 4 days to finally have a brain fart and figured it out...

Re: cannot logon to win XP due to password, cannot start in safe mode due to crash

It sounds to me like the software had you on a domain and when you uninstalled it it left you on the domain. Have you tried hitting the F8 key to get the menu for Normal Mode? If not, restart and hit the F8 key repeatedly until a menu shows up. Then choose Normal Mode. would say at this point, since you don't get a fully functional desktop even in safe mode, take the disk out of this computer, mount it in an external enclosure, attach it by USB to a working computer and then manually delete enough files on the disk so that it has 5 to 10 GB of free space (make sure you delete only files you copied on there, not system files or any installed programs, etc.).

Re: cannot logon to win XP due to password, cannot start in safe mode due to crash

This behavior can occur after you install software and restart the computer for the first time after the installation is finished, or after you start into Safe mode and attempt to log on locally.