Thread: Not able to create recovery partition by Norton Ghost

Not able to create recovery partition by Norton Ghost

Hi,
    I am trying to generate a recovery partition on Windows XP computer. I had installed Norton Ghost 2003. My system configuration is 80 Gb of hard drive win which I had created 3 partitions. First is of 30 Gb for Windows, second of 40Gb for my data and other files and the last one of 10Gb for recovery. I had run the image file and when system restarted the Norton Dos mode windows appear. But after that again the system restarted. What to do here. Thanks.

Re: Not able to create recovery partition by Norton Ghost

I think that you hard drive might have a bad sectors. Due to which Norton Ghost is not able to access the drive. Try a different partition and run the software again. The best option for you will using a bootable disc. Insert a DVD and run the backup. Ghost will create a backup image of your entire windows system on the disc. This disc can be use for restoration process in future.

The best option will be DVD disc for Windows backup. If Norton Ghost is not able to access the hard drive in DOS that means you have some issue with the disc. Use external drive for the same. Also create a Recovery disk with it. You will need a floppy disk for the same. If your windows fails to load then you can boot your computer from the disc and run the restoration.

Open My Computer and right click on the 10Gb back hard drive partition. Click on Properties. See the format of the drive. If it is NTFS then Norton Ghost will never access the drive. Because the software need a FAT or FAT32 type partition. You can convert it by right clicking on it and clicking on Format. Then choose FAT. The reason behind this is that all DOS type application only supports FAT type drive. They does not work on NTFS. In the same way Norton Ghost access the drive in DOS mode at the time of booting to run the restoration process.