Thread: Error Message "Word found locked fields during update"

Error Message "Word found locked fields during update"

Hello , When I try to perform a mail merge task in my Microsoft Word 2003, i cannot complete it Sucessfully , i receive this error message:

Word found locked fields during update. Word cannot update the locked fields.

Can you tell me how can i Solve this problem , please help me thanks in advance

Re: Error Message "Word found locked fields during update"

This behavior occurs when the following conditions are met: The mail merge main document contains a (SHAPE \ * MERGEFORMAT). This field is created when a text box or AutoShape is added, with a drawing area, the mail merge main document. NOTE: To view the fields in your document, press ALT + F9.
    The wrapping style of the drawing area is defined in line with text.

you can disable the drawing canvas when inserting AutoShapes
    1. To prevent Word from automatically create drawing canvas when inserting AutoShapes, follow these steps: In the Tools menu, click Options.
    2. In the Options dialog box, clear the check box Automatically create drawing canvas when inserting AutoShapes in the General tab.

you can also change the wrapping style , To change the wrapping style of the drawing area, follow these steps: Click on the canvas. Note that the toolbar Drawing Canvas appears. In the toolbar area drawing, click Text Wrapping, and then click a wrapping style other than "In line with text. also Press Alt+F9 with the mail merge main document as the active document to toggle on the display of the field codes and check to make sure that there are no other fields in the document. There is a possibility that a field may have invertently become locked by the use of Shift+F9 which is also a toggle so it can be unlocked using the same key ombination.