Thread: Problem with Windows User State Migration Tool

Problem with Windows User State Migration Tool

I have a Windows XP computer which is located in my office. I have bough a new laptop with Windows 7 in it. Now I am using Windows User State Migration Tool to migrate all the settings from Windows XP pc to windows 7. I have currently installed USMT 4.0. I want to transfer user profiles and Internet settings for the same. I had tried by things are not working here. Both systems are in LAN network. Please post relevant solutions. Thanks.

Re: Problem with Windows User State Migration Tool

If you are able to manage user profiles then for Internet Explorer you can download an install Internet Explorer Administration Kit 8. This kit is available on the official site for free download. The Internet Explorer Administration Kit (IEAK) 8 simplifies the creation, deployment and management of customized Internet Explorer 8 packages. IEAK 8 can be used to configure the out-of-box Internet Explorer 8 experience or to manage user settings after Internet Explorer 8 deployment.

The tool transfers each profiles when you specify them as MigUser.xml. Here the USMT transfers everything in the user profile folder. It includes all shared folders and windows folders like My Documents, My Video, My Music, etc. It is necessary that the xml files must be properly transferred otherwise your system will not be able to read the same.

I worry that User State Migration Tool files will not support other versions. That means the file migrated from Windows XP computer will not work on Windows 7. That can be difference between the file formats. But for internet explorer you can just backup your bookmarks and copy paste them in your Windows 7 computer. Import the bookmarks from file menu.