Thread: Function Key Problem in Windows 7

Function Key Problem in Windows 7

Hi,
    I have a Lenovo Laptop. I had recently upgraded from Windows Vista to Windows 7. After upgrade I had checked that the function key and media keys in my keyboard is not working. I had pressed them in Microsoft Word 2007 but it displays no result. Like F3 for help but nothing comes up. On the other hand the number lock light and caps lock light works.

Re: Function Key Problem in Windows 7

I will recommend you to first update your driver for the same. If you have media keys also then it is very necessary for the same. Right click on My Computer and click on Properties. Then go to hardware and click on Hardware > Device Manager. In the list click on the keyboard. Right click on the same and choose uninstall. Then restart your computer. Windows will look for the appropriate driver for the same.

See that your keyboard does not has dust below. This is mostly driver issues. Because laptops are equipped with hot keys and media keys. They are also called as easy touch buttons. For working of the keys you will have to update the keyboard and touchpad drivers. Otherwise it can be a hardware fault also. Check in device manager that it has any warning signals.

Click on Start > All Programs > Accessories > Accessibility. Launch the virtual keyboard. Then open notepad and click on each and every button in the keyboard. If the notepad response proper then there is a hard ware issue. You will have to contact the service center for the same. Also try to clear out the dust under keys.