Thread: How to install Skype on Ubuntu

How to install Skype on Ubuntu

Hi, i am having a Ubuntu operating system at home. I have seen many of my friends having Skype on their Ubuntu system. Could you guys please let me know where can i download Skype for Ubuntu and how to install it on the same ? Thanks in advance.

Re: How to install Skype on Ubuntu

Skype is not available in any Ubuntu software repository, and therefore cannot be installed with Ubuntu's package management software such as Synaptic or apt-get without adding a repository containing Skype. There is only the Medibuntu repository packaging Skype.

Using a repository, you will automatically receive future updates to the software.

If you don't want to do that, or can't (for example, if you're on amd64), perhaps the easiest way to install is from the Debian (.deb) package available directly from the Skype website. The downside of this is that you won't automatically get future updates, you will have to download the new versions as they become available.

Debian Package

There are some minimum Hardware ans Software requirements for Skype to run on Ubuntu Linux. Make sure your system meets these requirements:-

Hardware requirements
    • 1 Ghz processor or faster.
    • 256 MB RAM.
    • 20 MB free disk space on your hard drive.
    • Microphone and speakers or headset.
    • Internet connection (broadband is best, GPRS is not supported for voice calls, and results may vary on a satellite connection). .
    • Video card driver with Xv support.

Software requirements
    • Qt 4.2.1+
    • D-Bus 1.0.0
    • libasound2 1.0.12
    • PulseAudio 0.9.10+ (optional)
    • PulseAudio 0.9.15+ (optional recommended)

Download Skype for Ubuntu.

To start Skype, choose Applications->Internet->Skype. It usually takes a minute or two for Skype to get started, and you may think that nothing is happening, so be patient.

When the Skype window finally opens, sign up (if necessary) and log in to your Skype account. Test your configuration by selecting the Echo / Sound Test Service contact (if not there already, add contact echo123) and clicking on the large green button at the bottom of the Skype window. If the connection is made and you hear a voice, your sound configuration is fine.