Thread: How to backup the database from Apple Remote Desktop 2

How to backup the database from Apple Remote Desktop 2

Hi, I am sorry if i am posting this in the wrong section. i have a very short query here. I am a MAC OS X user with Apple Remote Desktop 2. Due to some reason i just want to back up all my Admin database files from the same. Could you guys please make me know how to do the same ? Help appreciated.

Re: How to backup the database from Apple Remote Desktop 2

If you want to back up your Apple Remote Desktop 2 database files, the easiest way is to copy the files to another storage device. Apple Remote Desktop 2 stores information about client systems in Postgres database files located at: /var/db/RemoteManagement/. You may back up these files individually or as a normal part of your routine backup schedule.

The quickest way to back up the files themselves is to use Terminal on the computer hosting the Apple Remote Desktop 2 RemoteManagement configuration. By default, this is the admin computer. Locally at the computer, you would use the "sudo" command to copy the "RemoteManagement" directory. Example:
    $ sudo cp -R /var/db/RemoteManagement/ ~/Desktop/RemoteMangement/
    The benefits of using this method are that you can automate the backup using the command as a shell script scheduled with a cron job, and file ownership permissions remain intact.

Apple Remote Desktop helps you keep Macintosh computers and the software running on them up to date and trouble free. And it lets you interact directly with Macintosh users to provide instructional and troubleshooting support.

If the RemoteManagement configuration is stored on a secondary Apple Remote Desktop 2 computer, this scheduling can also be done using Apple Remote Desktop 2:

• In the Remote Desktop window, select the Target Computer from the Master List, where the RemoteManagement directory resides.
    • Click the Terminal icon (Send Unix shell command...).
    • Type these commands into the field:
      sudo killall ARDagent
      sudo cp -R /var/db/RemoteManagement/ ~/MyBackups/RemoteMangement/
      sudo /System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent
    • Set the "Run command as:" to root. You may change the destination part of this command to better suit your configuration. File ownership remains intact using this method as well.
    • Schedule the command to run at regular intervals by clicking the clock icon.

Thanks for the quick help buddy. That is all i wanted to know. Hope i can do all these process perfectly and it works for me. Anyways, i appreciate your quick help. Keep it up !!!