Thread: Winsxs folder after Windows 7 updgrade

Winsxs folder after Windows 7 updgrade

Hi,
    I had upgraded to Windows 7 from Windows Vita. Browsing C drive which the Windows directory I found Winsxs folder in it. I do not think so that this one is used by Windows 7. It is a Vista folder. So here I want to know that can I delete the same and will this affect my system if deleted. The size of the folder is too big. Or if I leaved it back inside the files in it will create trouble in my Windows 7 system. Thanks in advance.

Re: Winsxs folder after Windows 7 updgrade

The folder is located in the primary windows directory iwth big size. It can be around or more than 5GB. The folder contains around 6000 folders and 25000 files in them. So that means it the 40% of your Windows directory. You are right that it is typically a Windows Vista folder. It stores up many copies of dll files which are used by Windows to run applications. It includes some critical system components. If you delete it then probably your system can became unstable. Do this copy the directory on a removable media and restart your system. If you face any trouble then restore the folder back.

Winsxs folder lies in Windows Vista. If you have performed a clean installation of Windows 7 that means by a bootable disc and formatting the drives then probably you can delete it. But if you have upgraded your Windows from Vista to 7 then do not delete it. It is not recommended. If you do so then this will disable multiple applications in your computer and make your system unstable.

It is not better to remove it. But if you do not want the same then you can simply get a additional third party tool to edit the folder. It is called as vsp1cln.exe tool. It is small handy tool which will help you to clean up unnecessary mess in the WinSxS folder. But better leave it. It has some very important system files which are needed by the operating system to work.