Thread: Windows 7 start menu problem

Windows 7 start menu problem

Hi,
    I had recently upgraded to Windows 7. The problem here is that first after the reboot there were no programs in the start menu. Also the drag and drop options is severely affected. How can I repair the same. What options are available in windows. Will I need to re-install Windows back again. Thanks in advance.

Re: Windows 7 start menu problem

It is a common issue. But there are several ways to fix up the issue. First click on Start > Program. Check out that there are shortcuts available in the folder. Then right click on the Start Button and select Explore or Open all users. This the folder where you shortcuts lies. You can manually put shortcuts in the folder which will be displayed on the Start Menu.

Right click on the task bar and choose properties. In the window go to start menu and choose customize. See that there are proper options selected. Shortcuts can be manually created and the same can be posted to the Start Menu folder afterward. For the drag and drop option you will need to check out that all the function are properly installed. If possible run a repair setup again.

The problem lies due to drivers. It is a common issue. It occurs when your explorer is engaged by any other application or malicious software. Are you using a original version of Windows 7 or crack. If it is a pirated copy then this problem will never go. Secondly delete the newly installed software's and try back.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenny View Post
    It is a common issue. But there are several ways to fix up the issue. First click on Start > Program. Check out that there are shortcuts available in the folder. Then right click on the Start Button and select Explore or Open all users. This the folder where you shortcuts lies. You can manually put shortcuts in the folder which will be displayed on the Start Menu.
    This sounded like my answer in that I want to directly edit the folders and shortcuts in the Start menu as I could by clicking on the Advanced button on the Customize dialog box in Windows XP. But, these instructions don't seem to jive with what I'm seeing in Windows 7 Pro (64-bit). When I right-click on the Start button, I see only Properties and Open Windows Explorer. Properties brings up a Customize dialog box, essentially as described in many help resources, but without any 'advanced button. (And, yes, I am logged in as the only Administrator). The option to Open Windows Explorer does not vector me to a particular location, but opens WE at Libraries and I do not know where to find a directory/file-like representation of the Start Menu (again, as was seen in Windows XP).

Willing to use a less 'user-friendly' UI, but want to be able to create folders with my choice of names and move various shortcuts into them, as was possible in Windows XP. If providing guidance - which will be greatly appreciated - please don't use, or base it on, comparisons to Windows Vista as I successfully avoided that altogether.
    Last edited by deejay7; 03-06-2010 at 11:31 PM.

donald1 Guest

it is the problem of drivers u must reinstall drivers.

-Virgo- Guest

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
    and/or
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu

-Delete shortcuts (.lnk) Do not delete the folders

PS - Bottomline is delete unneccesary installed programs which u dont use and might ave created shortcuts.

Reboot the Computer.

Thank you very much. Apparently Win7 somehow blocks the searching for "start" in that area of the directory.

Why should I not delete and/or create folders in the Start Menu folder ? Is there some way around that ? I have, over many years, developed a personal, but very streamlined, arrangement of folders and start links that I would really like to maintain.