Thread: How to Send Text to HyperTerminal with VBA

How to Send Text to HyperTerminal with VBA

I have an excel workbook that assists an end user configuring a multiplexer. I am trying to get the text from HyperTerminal window not via the RS232 but Via the window text. and also let me know How to open Hyperterminal in VBA. I connected to the COM1 port. How do I send that text command from inside the java program to the COM1 port.

Re: How to Send Text to HyperTerminal with VBA

This generates a response in hyperterminal which i want to pick up back into VBA - It makes use of the MSCOMM control and depending on what you want your app to do this could help. It can send and receive ASCII text and can send and receive a text file and will probably need a bit of modification to accept other file types. I have tried to use sendkey to select copy and paste but if you play with hyperterminal you will find the cursor acts very strage and almost randomly - the only way of making sure the required text is selected is to use the mouse! I can't say I've seen an API for hyperterminal but there is a sample program which comes with the MSDN library (for VB6) and among the help files for VB5 called VBTerm.

How do I send that text command from inside the java program to the COM1 port. A response in hyperterminal which i want to pick up back into VBA - have tried to use send key to select copy and paste but if you play with hyperterminal you will find the cursor acts very strage and almost randomly, Inside that program, I connected to the COM1 port. mscomm is an object that handles serial communications. I know it's avaliable to VB6, I don't work much with VBA but I imagine if you can find the control and register it you can use it from VBA. Although the mscomm control won't help you over ethernet.

Right now, you just want the job done. if you have a few hours (or days) you can fiddle with it using Access VBA. I don't know if you can programatically control hyperterminal or not. However, usually you'd be using hyperterminal as a middleman to transfer the file somewhere else via serial, and you can directly use COM ports from VB with the mscomm control.