Thread: What is WPE pro in Windows XP

What is WPE pro in Windows XP

Hi,
    I found a application called WPE Pro in my log file running in the background. When I run a full system scan the same file name wpe is detected as a virus. How can I remove this file. I had not installed any tool related to this term. Is this a trojan virus. If yes then please list some effective way to delete it. I am using AVG free version in my Windows XP computer. And the warning comes up frequently but the Anti-virus does not removes it. Thanks in advance.

Re: What is WPE pro in Windows XP

It is not a threat. It is actually a network hacking tool which is used on all version of Windows. The tools is a kind of packet sniffing and editing tool. The tools is used for generally hack a multiplayer game. It is possible that anyone has installed the computer without your knowledge. You can run a full system scan under safe mode. The anti virus will detect it as trojan virus and either quarantine it or delete it. To enter safe mode press F8 continuously at the time of system boot up. Then from the menu select Safe mode, run a scan and restart your pc.

The tool is called as Winsock Packet Editor. This tools allows a user to modify a data at the TCP level. It can simply choose a running process and modify it before reaching to the destination. So that means it is a hacking tool. You can remove the same from control panel > add remove program. Because most of the installed programs in Windows XP is listed in the Add/Remove list. Just remove it or launch a search process for the file name. If you find any file then delete it.

To remove the application from Windows first press Ctrl + Alt + Del from the keyboard. Then go to process and see the file name wpe pro.exe. Select the program from the list and choose end process. After that open My Computer and press Ctrsl + F to launch a search process for the file. Type the name of file and search it. You will find two files wpe pro.exe and wpespy.dll. Delete both of them. You can also look in Windows/system32 folder for the relevant file. Deleting will remove the tool from your computer.

richermartyn Guest

Hi...
    WPE Pro 0.9a (Windows XP, 2003, Vista), 1.3 (Windows 95, 98, ME, 2000)
    Winsock Packet Editor (WPE) Pro is a packet sniffing/editing tool which is generally used to hack multiplayer games. WPE Pro allows modification of data at TCP level. Using WPE Pro one can select a running process from the memory and modify the data sent by it before it reaches the destination. It can record packets from specific processes, then analyze the information. You can setup filters to modify the packets or even send them when you want in different intervals. WPE Pro could also be a useful tool for testing thick client applications or web applications which use applets to establish socket connections on non http ports.