Thread: What is the difference between PAL & NTSC

What is the difference between PAL & NTSC

Hi,
    Which is best format among PAL and NTSC. In my television when I press some channel I see a option at the top of the TV. That shows up PAL or NTSC. The same I had noticed while burning a disc. By default it was selected as PAL. I had never heard about this. For what both stands for and what is the difference between them. That means which one is better to choose. I am familiar that it might be a kind of broadcasting signal of channels but need more information on the same. Thanks in advance.

Re: What is the difference between PAL & NTSC

PAL stands for Phase Alternating Line and NTSC stand for National Television System. Both are a types of analogue television signals. PAL is widely used and covers a large area in world. It is one of the most common type of broadcasting signal. And in the case of NTSC it is used in some isolated part of the world. NTSC is actually a name of U.S. standardization body that normally engaged in developing broadcasting standard. So it just a type of TV signal. You can switch with that which gives you a better output.

The both are a type of standard in which video is transmitted to the TV. The VHS video format is common all around the world. So here the an electronic signal is different which is used for transmission. PAL and NTSC is the two most common video standards. In the NTSC there are 30 frames transmitted per second. And each frame is here made up of 525 single scan lines. And on the other hand PAL is standard type of video transmission which is used in overseas. In the each frame is of 25 single lines.

PAL and NTSC is type of video signal in which the video is either stored or transmitted in the form of electronic signal. You can use any of it. The most common one is NTSC. Maximum DVD players can read both of them. If you try a conversion tool to convert a PAL type video to NTSC then usually that can degrade you video quality. So if you using a DVD burner to create video disc then basically go for PAL. Because it is most common one if some DVD is not equipped to read NTSC then you video will not work.