Thread: What is Gallium 3D

What is Gallium 3D

Hi,
    I had just joined a Graphic Designing class some months before. Now I came across a term called Gallium 3D. What is this. Does anyone has used it anytime before. What I found that it is a kind of animation software which is used to render high end graphics. But in the same case there are multiple animation software. What is feature and best thing about this application. Any suggestions really appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Re: What is Gallium 3D

Gallium 3D is not actually a software but is a set of software library which is used for 3D graphics acceleration. It is developed by Tungsten Graphics. You would have heard about emulators or graphic accelerators. Here I will tell how it works. Gallium 3D works as a layer which lies between the graphics API and the operating system which is on your system. The main function of this is to help much more improvement in developing graphic structure and helping the hardware and application to generate desired results.

Gallium3D is a type of driver which is used to accelerate graphic development in a system. It is a 3D graphics acceleration application which contains a set to library that makes the function much more easier. The goal here is to develop high end graphics much easily. It provides unique functions like shader options on modern hardware. Here different 3D api like opengl, opengv, gpgpu just needs a single support called state tracker to work with a Gallium 3D API.

You can say it a graphic accelerator in simple words. There are ample for available on the internet. But Gallium 3D gives more complex advantages and features. If you use you can develop eye poping graphics displays. Today opengl is the most popular accelerator for a free download. Here what it does. It make all complex graphic driver more smaller and simpler with modern graphic hardware support. It works with many graphic api's.