Thread: How to fix the corrupt PowerPoint?

How to fix the corrupt PowerPoint?

I am having 2 PowerPoint presentations with me and both of them are not opening in my system. Yesterday I made that presentation on my friend’s laptop and it was working fine on it, As it is related to my studies I need to open them as soon as possible. Actually the thing is that whenever I try to open those particular files than it is giving me the error or it is not opening. Instead of that the “Open with” window opens and asks me choose the application and open the file. I don’t know what it wrong with it also I don’t know how to fix this problem. Please help me to solve this problem.

Re: How to fix the corrupt PowerPoint?

According to me the Ms Office that you are using is being corrupted. Because if the same files that are working fine in your friends laptop. So what you have to do here is that uninstall the Office that you have installed on your system and then install the latest one on your system. I am sure that installing the new office will enable you to open that file on your system. I guess you are using the old version that is the Ms office 2003 so do one thing uninstall it and install the Ms office 2007. I hope that this one will solve your problem.

I have gone through your problem and it seems to me that the file you are trying to open is having some problems. As mentioned by you that you are getting the open with option as you click on the file. The thing here is that if you get such option than you have to consider that the file is corrupted. The PowerPoint presentation that you are trying to play on your system will not work, because it is corrupted. Now do one thing ask your friend to give the file again and this time make sure you copy the file properly. I am sure that this time it will open and I hope that you will get rid of the problem.

I think that there is problem in the Ms Office that you are using so what you have to do is just update the Ms Office. And to update the Ms Office you have to follow the below steps:
    • Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Add or Remove Programs.
    • Click Change or Remove Programs on the right side.
    • Click to select the Show Updates check box.
    • Locate the Microsoft Office XP product in the list of installed programs.
    • Click to select the Office XP product, and then click the Click here for support information link. Verify that the version that is indicated is 10.0.6626.0 or a later version, and then close the Support Info dialog box.

I have followed all the steps that you are saying but I am not able to solve the problem. Actually I am using the Ms Office 2007 and I am sure that the installation was not proper because at that time I did not know the actual steps. I may have committed some mistakes while installation. Now the thing is that I am not able to update also the Ms Office, I know the exact problem here is the office that I am using I corrupted so please can anyone tell me the steps to download the office and also to install it on the system. I want to fix this problem as soon as possible, because all these files are related to my studies.

As asked by you here are the steps that will help you to download and install the MS Office 2007:
    1. First of all you have to download the compatibility pack
    2. And to download that pack you have to visit this site: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/e...1-eb966bcdfb5e
    3. Then you have to install the compatibility pack on your system.
    4. To install you have to click Run two times
    5. Once you will click the run file than you have to select the “Microsoft Software License Terms” checkbox
    6. After that you have to click on ok
    7. It will install your compatibility pack
    8. After installing the compatibility pack you have to click on start and then on Run.
    9. After opening the run window you have to type” appwiz.cpl” in the it and click ok
    10. And verify our Ms Office is installed properly or not
    Last edited by Macarenas; 31-10-2010 at 04:57 AM.

Laren Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
    According to me the Ms Office that you are using is being corrupted. Because if the same files that are working fine in your friends laptop. So what you have to do here is that uninstall the Office that you have installed on your system and then install the latest one on your system. I am sure that installing the new office will enable you to open that file on your system. I guess you are using the old version that is the Ms office 2003 so do one thing uninstall it and install the Ms office 2007. I hope that this one will solve your problem.

If file got corrupted and you need that data then you can get it repaired using some third party powerpoint recovery software.