Thread: Find FFDshow Version in Vista MCE

Find FFDshow Version in Vista MCE

Hi,
    I had installed FFDshow long time before. Now my media center pc takes a relatively long time to read a DVD. I want to know how can I determine that which version of FFdshow I am using. I want to update it. And for installing the new version do I will need to remove the old one or just run it. And how should I configure it. I need some tips and trick on it to use and configure it. Other than this what are the other best codecs in the marker available for free download. Thanks in advance.

Re: Find FFDshow Version in Vista MCE

You can simple see that in control panel or in the help option for the tool with which it is accompanied. You can just simply download the new version and run it. No need it to remove the old version out from your system. FFDshow is actually a mpeg 4 decoder file. It is a Direct Show decoding filter that is used for decompressing DivX movies, etc. So it is essential for media center pc. Otherwise you can find problem in reading DVD movies. It is available on many sites for free download.

The configuration setting of FFDShow is located in Windows drive. Open my computer, windows directory and then open the system 32 folder. Here you will see a folder of ffdshow and then in that look for the file rundll32 ffdshow.ax,configure. You can just manually configure the codec setting from here. Instead of going a long way I will recommend you to download haali media splitter.

It is a open source freeware software that is used to encode/decode various audio and video format. Without it you cannot play some specific audio and video files. The best option for you will be download and install Windows Media Player Classic Home Cinema. It is a awesome software for Vista MCE. You will not need any extra codec and player after installing this. Or other wise install VLC media player. It is also a freeware tool available on many site for download.