Thread: Spreadsheet vs Database

Spreadsheet vs Database

Hi,
    I am confused between Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Access. Which is the best between them to use to handle a large number of data. Now I have to add information of my customers on the computer. I have a bunch for more than 500 forms. This forms details are need to be added to a application which can be shared online. It is not possible to write them on a paper and send by post. I have a small size floral business. So which one will be better to use. I should use Microsoft Excel to add all the information in columns and row or a database application like Microsoft Access to generate tables. Any suggestions would really appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Re: Spreadsheet vs Database

This is a common confusion among most of the users. Now Microsoft here gives you two option. Once is a spreadsheet and second one is database solution. So for which you must go for. I will recommend you to use Ms Excel. This why because it is easy to use and handle. While on the other hand Microsoft Access needs some more skills to work with. It is bit complicated. It is much easier in Microsoft Excel to scroll data too and forth, get any specific information by adding formula, copy paste the date to different location, etc. Database are simply a organized form of collecting information. It is used to maintain record, project management, consumer information and invoices. You will have to generate query in getting your needed information.

I will advice you to go with Microsoft Excel. It is really a easy and simply way of collection information. And second thing it is compatible with many file formats and software's. That means you can import the entire information from a spread sheet to Microsoft Access or Microsoft Outlook. Outlook can be used to generate business card of user information. The address book in the Outlook express is more easy way of contacting your customer. If you want to manage a relatively large amount of data then you can go for Microsoft Access. But for that you will need to understand and learn it.

Lets take a example to guess similarity between both the data managing applications. Like you have a large number of information which includes invoices of customer sales and contact information. Now you need a quick way to calculate in stock and revenue. For this Microsoft Access is best option. Because it offers you different number of tables and then you can link them by generating queries. You can create report, invoices and generate calculations. This job is hard in Microsoft Excel. Because here you have to do everything manually. In a spread sheet you can edit data, a large amount of data is hard to handle, if there is many sheets in a single file then it makes the work slow, etc. In database thing you can manage a large amount of data with ease, maintain record, edit files and generate reports.