Thread: Play avi on media center extender

Play avi on media center extender

Hi,
    My Media center extender does not play .avi files. I had DVD which has some videos and audios in it. I had attached a blu ray player to my Xbox 360 which a my Media server. Now I had creates some disc on my Windows Vista pc which is not working in Xbox 360. The disc is readable in pc but not on the play station. What should I now do to play them on the play station. I had also tried the blu ray player for the same but no progress. Any suggestions really appreciated.

Re: Play avi on media center extender

Normally the gaming console plays most of the audio and video formats. Download a DivX and XviD codec in your media center pc. Then try back again. You have to make sure that .avi is compatible with Microsoft decoder. It the encoded in the Media center does not recognize then better you should convert it to mpeg format. There are ample for converters available. Or try to add a third party player on the media center other than windows media center.

Have you installed and downloaded TV Pack update for your Media center. If not then do that. Second thing download the codec pack for your Media center pc. It is a common issue on Xbox. It is also recommended that to play such file you will have add a mod chip to the Play Station. But that will void the warranty of your PlayStation. There is a optional Windows update available to play .avi files on Xbox 360.

The avi files needs to be properly encoded before getting played on the Media center pc. The only available right now available is DviX and XviD. If this also does not work then try to convert your all avi files to wmv. Wmv is a common format for Windows Media player also. Second option for you can be download Windows Media Player Classic Home Cinema. It has inbuilt codec library which supports Windows Media Center and read a wide range of audio and video files.