Thread: How can I crop an image in adobe illustrator 8.0

How can I crop an image in adobe illustrator 8.0

I'm running Illustrator CS on a Mac. I am trying to crop an image in illustrator. I place my jpeg image, and would like to crop it, The problem is that I have a large grouped vector image that was then rotated slightly, so it is not square with the artboard. Actually there is lot more to write about the problem but now I will ask for how can I crop an image in adobe illustrator 8.0.

Thanks for your help.

Re: How can I crop an image in adobe illustrator 8.0

Use the Pen or any other path tool to create your shape on top of the jpeg. Select both objects and go to Object>Clipping Mask>Make. Illustrator has a vector based workspace, as opposed to Photoshop which uses a canvas. you can either drag a flattened version of your Illustrator image into Photoshop or Place it, by saving your Illustrator file as an AI and then in Photoshop, going to File>Place and browse your files to find the AI image then hit Place.

Cropping can also be done in Adobe Acrobat, but requires the Professional version. If you have that, you can save the AI image as a PDF and then crop in Acrobat then send it off to the printer. Draw an empty rectangle with transparent fill & stroke the size of your page - 11X17 - and make sure it's properly aligned. Leave it selected and go to Object menu/Crop Area/Make. Either way, now that the image is in Photoshop, it will of course be converted to pixels and now you can "Crop" using the Crop tool in the Tools palette.

A simple solution is to first crop the image in Photoshop to its desired dimensions, and then import the image into Illustrator. Select raster image and rectangle, go to Object>Flatten Transparency, slide the quality slider to 100%, and make sure the Alpha Channel option is UNchecked. If you really want to do it using Illustrator, you can use a clipping mask to hide the part of the image you don’t need. Go to the "Object" menu and select "Clipping Mask" then "Make." The image is now cropped to the same size as the shape object.