Thread: Excel error "Cannot shift objects off worksheet"

Excel error "Cannot shift objects off worksheet"

As my profession, i use to work with MS office 2007 and more often on Excel. I have a workbook that i need to keep update every time by inserting data in the sheet. On the same worksheet i need to insert a column but when i am trying to do so, Excel is giving me error message saying,"Cannot shift objects off worksheet." I din't got this message ever before. I tried to find out the cause but everything seems fine. What is the problem ? Please help

Re: Excel error "Cannot shift objects off worksheet"

Most probably this error occurs when you trying inserting or hiding columns or rows in a worksheet. Most popular cause for this error is the option Nothing (hide objects) is selected in the Display options for this workbook section in the Excel Options dialog box. Although this option is not selected by default, it's possible to set it accidentally by pressing a particular keyboard shortcut (CTRL+6).

You can simply fix this error by pressing CTRL+6 on your keyboard. Alternatively follow the following steps:-

• In the upper-left corner of the Excel window, click the Microsoft Office button.

• At the bottom of the menu, click Excel Options.

• Click Advanced from list of options on the left.

• Scroll down to the Display options for this workbook section, and then click All under For objects, show:, and then click OK.

This error may be also cause of you create an object, such as a cell comment, in any cell in a column. To work around this issue:-

1. Click Format <object name>. In the Format dialog box, click the Properties tab.
    2. Click Move and size with cells, and then click OK.
    3. If you want to hide the cell comment again, right-click the cell that contains the comment, and then click Hide Comment.

If the above tricks can not fix the problem, than you can fix this issue by finding the offending object and either deleting it or moving it further away from the end of the worksheet. Here are a few tips for finding objects:

• To quickly move to the last cell in a row or column, press END, and then press the RIGHT ARROW key or the DOWN ARROW key.
    • To go to the last cell on the worksheet that contains data or formatting, click CTRL+END.
    • To quickly find and remove comments, press F5. In the Go To dialog box, click Special. Select Comments, and then click OK. To delete the comment, right-click the cell containing the comment, and then click Delete Comment.
    • To quickly find graphical objects, including charts and buttons, press F5. In the Go To dialog box, click Special. Select Objects, and then click OK. Once you've found the object, you can delete or move it.