Thread: QuickTime won't playing .avi files

QuickTime won't playing .avi files

Hi,, i have downloaded some movies from torrent that are in .avi format. When i am trying to open or play them in the QuickTime, there is no response. I tough the file may be corrupted but other avi files are also not able to play. I dont know whats wrong. Do you guys have any suggestion or idea why QuickTime won't playing .avi files ? Please help me out this.

Re: QuickTime won't playing .avi files

AVI stands for Audio Video Interleave. The .AVI format is what is known as a container format. It specifies a way in which a file may contain audio and video data. It does not specify how that data is encoded. The encoding of audio and video data is specified in what are known as codecs. A codec (short for COmpressor/DECompressor) tells the computer how to decode the audio and video tracks that have been encoded within the .AVI file.

QuickTime Player can use numerous codecs by default. You can also add additional codecs to extend QuickTime's features using plug-ins or third-party installations.

When QuickTime opens an .AVI file, it checks to see which codecs were used to encode the audio and video tracks within it. For example, an .AVI file may contain a video track encoded in the Cinepak codec and an audio track encoded with the ALaw 2:1 codec. If both the audio and the video were compressed using a codec that QuickTime can use, the file will play normally.

If you are using QuickTime 6 or earlier you may be able to determine which codec was used to compress an audio or video track:-

1. Open the file in QuickTime Player.
    2. From the Movie menu, choose Get Movie Properties.
    3. From the left pop-up menu in the Properties window, choose Sound Track or Video Track.
    4. From the right pop-up menu, choose Format. The Format section shows the codec.

Why don't you try VLC Player instead. It supports a large collection of file types. If the .AVI file is encoded using a codec that is not included with QuickTime, you might be able to find and add that codec so QuickTime can play media encoded with it. In QuickTime 7:-

• Open the file in QuickTime Player.
    • From the Window menu, choose Show Movie Info. The codec is listed next to Format.

Related Topic: How to play WMV in Quicktime on MAC?